Office 2010

BobH
UraniumLounger

Office 2010

Post by BobH »

My better half just purchased an enterprise license through her employer for Microsoft Office 2010 which I installed on an older Dell desktop. It has but half a gigabyte of RAM and the processor clocks at about 1.6 GHz. I've already ordered 2 GB of Crucial memory. I'm hoping that will resolve the processing power issue that makes using the software like returning the the original PC without a hard drive.

But, the reason for my post is to ask your advice on how best to learn to use the new software. I looked at both Word and Excel after installation and was a bit awed by the on-screen tools available and the changes to the GUI. I've been stuck on Office 2000 for too long, I guess.

I would really appreciate any suggestions of websites, tutorials or any other aids that will help me transition to the new tools.

TIA
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

HansV
Administrator

Re: Office 2010

Post by HansV »

The main new interface element in Office 2007 and 2010 is the Ribbon that takes the place of the familiar menu and toolbar system.
The ribbon is a lot clumsier, but you do get used to it after a while. There are some excellent tools to get up to speed:

Learn where menu and toolbar commands are in Office 2010 and related products is a series of interactive guides that tell you where a menu or toolbar command can be found (or not, more often than you'd like) in the ribbon for each of the Office applications. You can use them online (in your browser) or download versions for stand-alone use.

There is also an add-in for Word, Excel and PowerPoint: Search Commands. This adds a tab to the ribbon from which you can search for the familiar old commands.
Best wishes,
Hans

TonyE
3StarLounger

Post by TonyE »

Another add-on that can be useful is UBitMenu. It adds a new tab to the ribbon that contains the classic Office menus and toolbar. It can be useful whilst you are getting used to the ribbon interface. It works with Word, Excel and PowerPoint and is free for personal use.
Tony

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

BobH wrote:I've been stuck on Office 2000 for too long
Nah, that was me! Office 2000 was my employers choice for a loooooong time, until it went out of support in fact. Only then did they move to Office 2007.

Yes the ribbon in place of menus is confusing if you have years and years of experience of menus and toolbars deeply ingrained. Your mouse will be all over the place looking for stuff that was second nature but you do get used to it.

I asked our IT people about using the UBitMenu that Tony mentions but was as it wasn't for personal use (they didn't buy the, "but it's just for me" line) I wasn't allowed to install it. The point was also made that the ribbon is going away so get over it and get used to it, i.e. an extra tab on the ribbon that gives you access to all the old stuff isn't actually going to help in the long run.

As for running it on a 1.6GHz processor. I presume it's an (32 bit) XP box in which case your best bet is as you've already set about doing, get as much RAM as you can into it. If the motherboard (and your pocket) can cope with more than the 2Gb you've already ordered you might want to consider installing the max a 32 bit system can address, i.e. 4Gb. However, given the lowly speed of the CPU that is probably into the realms of diminishing returns.

Ken

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

stuck wrote:...The point was also made that the ribbon is going away so get over it and get used to it, i.e. an extra tab on the ribbon that gives you access to all the old stuff isn't actually going to help in the long run...
There is some truth to this, but you should be able to persuade them that Search Commands will help people to learn where things are on the ribbon, so improving productivity now AND in the future.
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

stuck wrote:The point was also made that the ribbon is going away so get over it
I assume you meant that the ribbon is not going away...
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

HansV wrote:
stuck wrote:The point was also made that the ribbon is going away so get over it
I assume you meant that the ribbon is not going away...
:blush: oops, yes that's what I meant.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

I would suggest that on an XP box anything above about 2 GB of RAM will offer no advantage (even though it's not expensive stuff) unless you're running software that requires lots of memory like Access, video-editing, and the like. Your problem is going to be the 1.6 GHz processor (is it a dual processor/hyperthreading?).
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks for all the helpful information!!!

The PC is a very old one with only a single processor. I've done some CCleaner - ing and that helped a little. I remembered Skitterbug's post about DNS servers and followed some of the links there and installed the OpenDNS on my wireless router. That made a remarkable difference - but I have no earthly idea why. Coincidence? Maybe, but it sure does reinforce my love for Eileen's Lounge!!

Thanks again!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016