Product Key association with application installation discs?

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Product Key association with application installation discs?

Post by Pilgrim »

I sold Office 2007 Small Business Edition to one of my clients. After it was installed, the owner of the business stored the physical package in his safe. A few weeks back, the business was burglarized and all the contents of the safe were stolen.

I still have a couple of Office 2007 Small Business packages on hand. I also have the Product Key for the stolen set of discs. My question is, can the Product Key for the stolen discs be used on any other installation disc, e.g., if I were to make a copy of one of the spare sets I have here, can that Product Key be used to activate one of them? OR... are the Product Keys proprietary to the discs?

Someone told me that if I contacted Microsoft and explained about the theft and could provide a police report of the incident, which I believe could be done, they might send a replacement set for a minimal charge, e.g., $5 or $6. So, if the above isn't possible, perhaps that would be our only option.

In case someone is wondering why I would make a copy of one of the spare sets, it is simply for 'insurance'... i.e., in case something happens that would require a reinstallation of Office 2007 Small Business, e.g., hard drive failure, upgrading to a new PC, etc.

TIA
Jeff

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

HansV
Administrator

Re: Product Key association with application installation di

Post by HansV »

The product key is not physically linked to a specific CD set: the key is not stored on the discs in any way. So you should be able to use the product key of the stolen discs with any other set of discs for the same Office version - but not while your client still has Office installed with this key, of course.
Best wishes,
Hans