Prevent configuration process

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Prevent configuration process

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello.
Office 2007 and 2010 are supposed to get on together, but switching from one to the other (Windows 7) causes the configuration process to run again. Not all the time, but frequently enough to be annoying.

I've been looking into this and apparently it's an issue with the shortcuts in the Start menu. So I created toolbars on my Taskbar that use shortcuts that point to the applications within \Program Files. The issue persists. Do you think I've just re-created the Start menu issue? That is, it's because the Start menu and Taskbar are accessible to all users?

Alternatively, I've come across the following command for the registry that apparently resolves the issue:

reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1

Does anyone have experience of this annoyance, and how did you resolve it pl? Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Prevent configuration process

Post by HansV »

Long ago, I installed two versions of Office on the same PC (I think it was Office 95 and Office 97 - that long ago). That was once, but never again...
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

HansV wrote:Long ago, I installed two versions of Office on the same PC (I think it was Office 95 and Office 97 - that long ago). That was once, but never again...
I apologise that I will now dredge up a subject I've raised before.. but does anyone have experience of sandbox software to run different versions of Office on the same computer? How does this differ from a Virtual Box?

I suspect that the registry setting(s) mentioned will resolve my current issues, but I'm again considering alternatives.

Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Some one wil correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that a virtual box a complete second operating system + apps running inside the host OS. Whereas a sand box is just a chunk of memory carved off from the rest of the OS and used keep an application isolated from everything else inside that memory space.

As for the two versions of Office on a PC thing, like Hans said it's not a good idea. We had two PCs in the office that ran Office 2000 alongside Office 2007 for a few weeks, while we worked out what we had to tweak in our system to get them up to 2007 compatibility. The fact that configuration process kicked in every time we switched from a 2000 app to a 2007 one certainly helped to concentrate our minds on moving over to just 2007 asap.

Ken

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Thanks Ken.

As a trainer I need to have more than one version of Office on my laptop. I got it working well in Vista, so think I'll try the registry keys later. If not, I believe I can open each application directly from the Program Files folder to prevent the configuration process.

Besides, Microsoft state that 2007 and 2010 can peacefully co-exist :laugh:

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello. The following key seems to have made my issue disappear (for Word, and Excel so far) although it's early days.

reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1

1) With a 'sandbox' will I be able to install Office 2003 within it? Or is it just to temporarily run an application?
2) I understand that Virtual Box can install separate OSes into each box, but can it 'borrow' my current W7 installation or do I need to install it twice (and therefore require two licences)?

Regards, Andy.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

agibsonsw wrote:1) With a 'sandbox' will I be able to install Office 2003 within it? Or is it just to temporarily run an application?
:shrug: the only sandbox I know of but I've never tried it is Sandboxie.
agibsonsw wrote:2) I understand that Virtual Box can install separate OSes into each box, but can it 'borrow' my current W7 installation or do I need to install it twice (and therefore require two licences)?
Not as far as I know, you need to install the second OS inside the virtual box so you need two licences.

Perhaps others here who actually use virtual PCs will chip in...

Ken

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hi Ken.

That registry key setting works (so far) for Word and Excel but not Access.. Further investigation required :groan:

I've downloaded Sandboxie. I don't want to use it for switching between Office 2007 and 2010, but I might install Office 2003 within it, having created a Restore Point :smile:. But I will (probably) need Office 2003 rarely, so I might stick with my original plan of dedicating my other laptop for 2003.

Thank you, I felt sure that Virtual Box would require separate licences. I believe I could achieve this via a Technet subscription, or possibly by upgrading W7 to obtain XP Mode?

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Doesn't the license on Technet software limit you to evaluation purposes only, i.e. you are not supposed to use it in a 'production' environment?

Ken

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

stuck wrote:Doesn't the license on Technet software limit you to evaluation purposes only, i.e. you are not supposed to use it in a 'production' environment?

Ken
Hi. I would use the software to study, store my diary and accounts, create sample files.I assume these raise no concern. But I would also use it to provide demonstrations during training sessions. Woud that be considered a production environment?

I assumed that if I built something that was sold, or that other people used, then that would constitute a production environment?

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

agibsonsw wrote:Woud that be considered a production environment?
Your way off the edge of my map now but Google finds:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subs ... fault.aspx
which links to:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/subs ... 94422.aspx

Have fun reading the small print!

Ken

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Bit tricky:
You may not use the software in a live operating environment, in a staging environment, or with data that has not been backed up. You may not use the evaluation software for software development or in an application development environment.
Yes, I get paid, but there is no production, or output, involved. Effectively, I'm also promoting MS products.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

agibsonsw wrote:Bit tricky:
You may not use the software in a live operating environment...
Yes, I get paid, ...
So you'd be using the software in order to do your job? I'm no lawyer but that sounds like a 'live operating environment' to me.

Your call!

Ken

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

stuck wrote:...
So you'd be using the software in order to do your job? I'm no lawyer but that sounds like a 'live operating environment' to me...
I'm no lawyer either, but I think the intention is that this software can be used for some purposes, otherwise there would be no point at all.

I guess that most people who buy this work in the IT industry and charge others for their services, so it really is not as simple as it might at first appear.
StuartR

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

To me the text of the license is fairly clear (and draconian), you can only use this software to evaluate it. Which to me means you can't use it to do 'new' work, only duplicate what you've done already. You can only use it in parallel with your current software for the purpose of finding out how it differs/discovering the implications of using it in place of your 'real' software. Forewarned is forearmed etc.

However you're right, the real world is not that simple.

Ken