Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 ?

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 ?

Post by ABabeNChrist »

I was looking over Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 and was wondering what pros and cons it may have in comparison to other versions of Office

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 ?

Post by StuartR »

You can only get Office Professional Plus if you have a volume licencing agreement with Microsoft. Here is a version comparison with Office Standard.
StuartR

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

Thanks StuartR
The reason for my curiosity about Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 is that another inspector in my field who has Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 was wondering if my xlsm workbook can fully function as with other versions. I understand this version is a little different than Microsoft Office 2010 Professional and that a Starter version has its limitations when it comes to macros.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The Starter Edition of Office 2010 contains only very limited versions of Word and Excel. This version is not available in retail, only in combination with a new PC.
You can't create, edit or run macros in these versions.

All other editions of Office (Home and Student, Home and Business, Standard, Professional, Professional Plus and Academic) contain the full version of Word and Excel, plus other applications depending on the edition. Your .xlsm workbook should work fine in any of these.

See Office 2010 suites for a comparison of these editions.
Best wishes,
Hans

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

Thank you Hans
I wasn’t for sure and thought I’d ask from a trusted reliable source. :grin:
The reason for my confusion was it ability to be used by smartphones and thought it may limit is usage.

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

If I understand correctly, this version of office has some usage with smart phones, but the smartphone will need Office Mobile 2010 or some type of App. Wouldn’t this limit its usage of an xlsm workbook if used on a smartphone?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The Excel version in Office Mobile for Windows Phone doesn't support VBA, nor protection of worksheets.
Best wishes,
Hans

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

HansV wrote:The Excel version in Office Mobile for Windows Phone doesn't support VBA, not protection of worksheets.
Thats what I though bummer :sad: , but soon maybe they will :grin:

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

I was wondering if an xlsm workbook can be opened on a Smartphone to perform simple xlsx task like Data validation dropdowns and conditional formatting, and once report is completed then return workbook to desktop / laptop for final entries in a xlsm. I’m trying to see if there is maybe a way to use a Smartphone in the field to perform my inspections.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You'd have to try it, but I fear it will be a failure. According to this Wikipedia article,
Protection settings, zoom settings, autofilter settings, certain chart formatting, hidden sheets, and other features are not supported on Excel Mobile, and will be modified upon opening and saving a workbook.
(Italics are mine)
As far as I can tell, this means that the workbook would lose advanced features if saved in Windows Mobile.
Best wishes,
Hans

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

But could it be possible to retrieve some if this data once completed on a Smartphone, by re-uploaded workbook from Smartphone on to a PC, then using xlsm workbook to retrieve updated data.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That should be possible, but it's extra work - it's up to you to decide whether it's worth the trouble.
If you think it is, I'd invest in a smartphone with Windows Phone and Office Mobile, and test it thoroughly.
Best wishes,
Hans

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

HansV wrote:That should be possible, but it's extra work - it's up to you to decide whether it's worth the trouble.
If you think it is, I'd invest in a smartphone with Windows Phone and Office Mobile, and test it thoroughly.
I was already thinking of that, my son just so happens to have this setup. I’ll use him as my guinea pig (figure of speech). I thought I would create a Save As workbook code within my master workbook that would save a current updated copy of the master workbook into a xlsx then would be uploaded onto Smartphone. Then once report is completed I’ll re-upload and see what I get, then go from there. I’m trying to move into the 21 Century. But I don’t think I’ll ever fully understand or care to TEXT, I prefer the old fashion way - talking