Default templates for Word/PowerPoint 2010

Robie
5StarLounger

Default templates for Word/PowerPoint 2010

Post by Robie »

Hi

Is it possible to define/set up default templates for Word/PowerPoint within Office 2010? That is, when a user wants to create a new document or presentation, it *doesn't* give blank but a default document/presentation?

Thanks.

Robie

HansV
Administrator

Re: Default templates for Word/PowerPoint 2010

Post by HansV »

The default template for Word is Normal.dotm, in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates (Windows XP) or C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates (Windows Vista/7). Application Data and AppData are hidden folders, so you must show hidden files and folders in order to see them.
If you open Normal.dotm, edit it, then save it, you'll get the modified version as blank document when you start Word, when you click the New button on the Quick Access Toolbar (if available) and when you press Ctrl+N.
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The default template for PowerPoint is named Blank.potx, in the same folder as above, but this template doesn't exist unless you create it. So do the following:

- Start a new presentation and modify it as needed, or open an existing presentation that already has the desired settings.
- Select File | Save As.
- Select PowerPoint Template (*.potx) as file type.
- The dialog will automatically switch to the user templates folder.
- Specify Blank.potx as file name.
- Click Save.

The template will be used when you start PowerPoint, when you click the New button on the Quick Access Toolbar (if available) and when you press Ctrl+N.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Robie wrote:when a user wants to create a new document or presentation, it *doesn't* give blank but a default document/presentation?
Hans has explained how to do literally what you ask, i.e. set up Word & PP such that the user is not presented with a blank page on start up.

Is that what you meant?

Or do you mean "Can I open Word/PP with an empty workspace and then choose which ever non-blank doc/presentation I want from a selection previously created by me?"

To do this you need to:
First append a start up switch to the path to Word/PP held within the shortcut icon you use to start Word/PP.
For Word the path should end winword.exe /n
For PP the path should end powerpoint.exe /c

Second prepare and save your templates to the templates folder as described above by Hans.

Ken

Robie
5StarLounger

Post by Robie »

Hans & stuck

Apologies for late reply - I wasn't around for a while.

What can I say - THANK YOU VERY MUCH - you have just made our bosses very happy. :clapping: :fanfare: