Location of Downloaded Office Updates

stuckling1
2StarLounger

Location of Downloaded Office Updates

Post by stuckling1 »

I get updates for Office (2010 32bit edition) via Microsoft Update, which as I'm on Vista is intergrated into Windows update.

I just downloaded & instaulled SP1, which was 307megs. If I want to save the downloaded file in a backup location in case I ever need to apply SP1 again, what files do I need to copy?

I did a Google and came up with this-
Where are windows updates stored on computer harddrive? What - Microsoft Answers - http://is.gd/FFV1VA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

then found the correct file
C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\405b3bec04ab23289c21e487fba93ae1\

in there is a cab file, officesuitewwsp1-x-none.cab .

Is this the whole of the downloaded update or do I need to copy anything else aswell?

HansV
Administrator

Re: Location of Downloaded Office Updates

Post by HansV »

As far as I can tell, that is the data file, but there is probably a corresponding .msi somewhere...
Best wishes,
Hans

stuckling1
2StarLounger

Post by stuckling1 »

ah okay, thankyou Hans. :smile:

Inside the .cab is an msp (~400MB) and an xml (28k), so yes I think you're right there will need to be an msi to unpack the cab, read the xml & apply the patch.

I shall keep hunting!

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

For big significant updates such as service packs I prefer to download the complete package(s) myself. That way I can save the download for future use. See Office downloads at Microsoft Download Center.

Everyone should "play" around with the new download center. It is significantly redone and much more functional than in the past.

Joe
Joe