Office 2007 /adminfile

pmatz
StarLounger

Office 2007 /adminfile

Post by pmatz »

Hi,

In office 2010 the MODI is no longer present. The workaround is to install the MODI from Office 2007.
I have gone through manually and selected only the MODI from the 2007 setup, which worked great.
However to roll this out, I created an .msp file to specify only the MODI element and then created a .cmd file to run

setup.exe /adminfile MODI.msp

this doesnt work though as it baulks asking for a product key. When i run the install manually I dont get this prompt.

Any thoughts how I can automate this?

Thanks

Paul
thanks, Paul.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Office 2007 /adminfile

Post by HansV »

Sorry, this appears to be too technical for us...
Best wishes,
Hans

pmatz
StarLounger

Post by pmatz »

I used the /config switch in the end with a modified config.xml file to apply only this update, which worked fine.
Not as easy to do as the .msp file can be created with the nice office GUI for customisation, but all the same it was fine once I understood how to get what I wanted in the XML.
If anyone's interest how to do this I can go into more detail and paste the xml :)
Thanks
thanks, Paul.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Do please share your solution. If only because other people may stumble on this thread when doing a web search.
StuartR

pmatz
StarLounger

Post by pmatz »

Ok, so what I wanted to do was to run the Office 2007 install but to only install the MODI (Microsoft Office Document Imaging) component which for some reason has been excluded in Office 2010. This component amongst other things is an excellent .tiff editor.

I first tried using the Microsoft Office Customisation tool, by running the command setup.exe /admin (see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... K_admincmd)

This has an excellent and straightforward GUI, and creates an .msp file which can then be pointed to using the command setup.exe /adminfile test.msp.

However, as my MS Office 2010 is installed and I will be using the license for 2010 to cover the 2007 MODI component (Microsoft's Office licenses are backwards compatible and can be used for the equivalent Office product in an earlier version provided that you are fulfilling the rest of the agreement in regards to number of installations) I did not have a product key for the 2007 install, and the use of the .msp then baulked as this needs to be supplied for the .msp file to go through, even though when I just ran the setup.exe manually it does NOT prompt for a key! (This is due to it seeing the install as an upgrade....

Anyway - I needed another solution, which I found with the setup.exe /config command. (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... KMK_config

This involves copying the default config.xml and modifying it accordingly to your requirements. Below is the .xml I used to specify the MODI component only:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Configuration Product="Enterprise">
  <Display Level="basic" CompletionNotice="yes" SuppressModal="no" AcceptEula="yes" />
  <OptionState Id="ACCESSFiles" State="absent" Children="force" />
  <OptionState Id="EXCELFiles" State="absent" Children="force" />
  <OptionState Id="GrooveFiles" State="absent" Children="force" />
  <OptionState Id="OneNoteFiles" State="absent" Children="force" />
  <OptionState Id="OUTLOOKFiles" State="absent" Children="force" />
  <OptionState Id="PPTFiles" State="absent" Children="force" />
  <OptionState Id="PubPrimary" State="absent" Children="force" />
  <OptionState Id="RMSFiles" State="absent" Children="force" />
  <OptionState Id="VisualStudio_PreviewServer_SPD" State="absent" Children="force" />
  <OptionState Id="WORDFiles" State="absent" Children="force" />
  <OptionState Id="XDOCSFiles" State="absent" Children="force" />
  <OptionState Id="SHAREDFiles" State="absent" Children="force" />
  <OptionState Id="TOOLSFiles" State="absent" Children="force" />
  <OptionState Id="MSOfficeDocumentImaging" State="Local" Children="force" />
</Configuration>
Then I created a batchfile to run the setup.exe /config modi.xml command and hey presto - it works!

For a full list of options that can be configured in the xml I found http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 79195.aspx most useful.
thanks, Paul.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks! :thumbup:
Best wishes,
Hans