Global setting for all office Programs

MelanieB
3StarLounger

Global setting for all office Programs

Post by MelanieB »

Our IT department is looking at setting some sort of global setting across Word, Excel and PowerPoint so that each new file would have the word Draft as a watermark across the document until the user removes the watermark and saves the file. I know.. I know.. I'm just the messenger. Is there a way to do this across all 3 programs? For all users?

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Global setting for all office Programs

Post by stuck »

I doubt you can do this with one tweak, especially since I've just searched the Excel 2007 help file for 'watermark' and it says:
"Watermark functionality is not available in Microsoft Office Excel. However, you can mimic a watermark in one of two ways."

Even in Word, which does support watermarks I'm not aware of a global application setting that would do this. my understanding of watermarks is that they are document properties so I would guess you'd have to make sure all templates, including 'normal.dot' were set up to include a watermark by default.

However, I'm no expert so I will happily be proven wrong.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Re: Global setting for all office Programs

Post by HansV »

As Ken notes, there is no global setting for this. You'd have to make templates available for Word, Excel and PowerPoint with DRAFT in the watermark for Word, in a picture in the page header in Excel, and in the background of the master slide(s) in PowerPoint. But you'll probably irritate many users, because removing these will not be trivial for the average user...
Best wishes,
Hans