Where is Office 2007?

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Where is Office 2007?

Post by Gloria E »

While viewing Windows Updates, I noticed that under Office, Office 2007 was listed. I'm running Office XP Professional with FrontPage, so I skipped the 3 updates.

After the instalation of the other updates, I ran a search program called Agent Ransack and also Windows Search, and Office 2007 was not found. I ran regedit, still no cigar. I don't understand where Windows found it, it must be somewhere or it wouldn't be on the list. :scratch:

My question is: Is it required, and if not, how to remove it from my computer and the registry? :confused3:
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

DaveA
GoldLounger

Re: Where is Offfice 2007?

Post by DaveA »

What other Microsoft Products are you running?
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

HansV
Administrator

Re: Where is Office 2007?

Post by HansV »

Have you installed the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint File Formats? This lets you open documents in Word 2007 format (.docx and .docm), Excel 2007 format (.xlsx and .xlsm) and PowerPoint 2007 format (.pptx and .pptm) in Office XP.
If you have installed it, you will receive updates for Office 2007 alongside updates for Office XP.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:Have you installed the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint File Formats? This lets you open documents in Word 2007 format (.docx and .docm), Excel 2007 format (.xlsx and .xlsm) and PowerPoint 2007 format (.pptx and .pptm) in Office XP.
If you have installed it, you will receive updates for Office 2007 alongside updates for Office XP.
To answer the first question, I'm running Microsoft Wireless Mouse & Keyboard. Office Tools, Default Manager, FixIt Center, Silverlight, the Office Package you know about.

No, I have not installed Office Compatibility Pack.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

In that case, you can safely ignore the updates for Office 2007.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:In that case, you can safely ignore the updates for Office 2007.
Will do. Will you please answer a question about this same subject?
If I don't have Office 2007 installed, where is Windows Update getting it's information?

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

You must have some piece of Office 2007 installed. Do you have any of the viewers installed?

Joe
Joe

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

JoeP wrote:You must have some piece of Office 2007 installed. Do you have any of the viewers installed?

Joe
Nope Joe, not a one. It's not earth shaking but it surely has aroused my curiosity. I dislike ignoring things that can be corrected. Besides, Belarc Advisor keeps saying that I have 3 missing updates, the exact number of updates for Office 2007. I sure hope that someone can help me solve this issue.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

In my experience, Windows Update does not offer updates for non-existent software. So, I'd say you've got some piece of Office 2007 installed. Note: Office 2007 folders in Program Files are usually named Office12.

Joe
Joe

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

JoeP wrote:In my experience, Windows Update does not offer updates for non-existent software. So, I'd say you've got some piece of Office 2007 installed. Note: Office 2007 folders in Program Files are usually named Office12.

Joe
I searched the computer and Office 12 wasn't found. Next, I did a Regedit and it found one item under: HKCR\_classes_Root\TypeLib with 2 subfolders, I deleted the whole shabang. I hope when I go back to Windows Update, the program in question will be gone.

Thanks for the tip. :cheers: