Needed Office updates to enable macros

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Needed Office updates to enable macros

Post by ABabeNChrist »

I have a question regarding Office updates. I’ve noticed that sometimes when a new Office program is installed, that even though the macros are set to enable the macros may still be set to unable until Office program has had all needed updated. Is this typical and if so what are the updates that are needed. I tried searching the web but wasn’t sure.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Needed Office updates to enable macros

Post by HansV »

I've never seen that, but the usual procedure is to visit Windows Update to determine which updates your computer needs. (Windows Update nowadays includes Office Update)
Best wishes,
Hans

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

A couple of different friends of mine have experienced this when they either upgraded to a newer version or installed Office program for the first time. They would first install Office then set there macros to enable, but when opening a macro workbook they receive an error message just below the tool ribbon saying macros are enabled. But then after downloading updates this seemed to enable the macros. Maybe some kind of Office security updates?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I can't explain that - as far as I know, installing updates is not related to enabling/disabling macros. As I mentioned, I have never seen this behavior.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I have never experienced this behaviour either, but I would never run Windows or Office without all the appropriate security updates so maybe that explains why.
StuartR

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

After further searching I believe I may have struck pay dirt. I believe I found a Microsoft website that seems to explain the problem my friends where experiencing.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927150

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It would have helped if you had told us that the problem occurred for encrypted files.

And Office 2007 SP2 has been released in April 2009, almost 2 years ago. If you bought Office 2007 after April 2009, it usually included SP2...
Best wishes,
Hans

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

I didn’t know the workbook was encrypted until I read the explanation that Microsoft mentioned on about my concerns.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

When I first tried out XL2007 I had to do so via Citrix, as I only had a Win2000 box at the time. I found that one of my XL2000 workbooks, which was password protected, would not work properly. This thread reminds me that I eventually concluded it was just the way XL2007 was, it was over protective.

Now that I have a better PC with Office 2007 installed locally and I can add tweak the security settings, notably to add a trusted location that covers the folder where my workbook is stored, I find that the workbook works just fine. You might want to check that your problem workbook is stored in a trusted location and if not try adding that location.

Ken

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

After even further investigation I was able to determine that workbook in question does NOT appear to be an encrypted file even though the symptoms are similar as described on the previous site I posted. Also I’m not familiar with encrypted files.

The workbook in question does have protection to protect the VBA, could this be the reason, since the code is locked and unable to be scanned.
Like Stuck mentions, possible over protection.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

If you look at the MS article you linked to it explicitly mentions the use of a password in its definition of encryption so I would expect the protection on the VBA to come into that category as well.

As I said, I found that once I was able to set a trusted location that encompassed where my workbook was stored I found XL was happy to let me open it and use it as I had designed it.

Ken

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

Thank you Ken
Most greatly appreciated