Your Favorite Office 2010 Books and References

jscher2000
2StarLounger

Your Favorite Office 2010 Books and References

Post by jscher2000 »

My paralegal is about to get a new PC which, naturally, which come with Windows 7 and Office 2010 (OEM "Home and Business" flavor with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and OneNote). Other than a test machine in IT, this will be the first installation of Office 2010 in the firm, so out of solidarity (and, um, to get a faster system), I'm going to get the identical configuration.

As both of us currently use Office 2003, I think it might be useful to collect some resources to answer inevitable questions and become familiar with what features are truly new (so we don't create compatibility problems for our colleagues who use Office 2007).

Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks!

HansV
Administrator

Re: Your Favorite Office 2010 Books and References

Post by HansV »

Hi Jefferson, welcome to Eileen's Lounge!

Microsoft has some free training material intended especially for users migrating from Office 2003 - see Training - Microsoft Office.

Getting used to the new Ribbon interface can be daunting. See Learn where menu and toolbar commands are in Office 2010 for a series of interactive guides - they are available online and also as downloads (Microsoft Download Center).
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

The best tool I found for learning where to find things on the ribbon only worked with Office 2007. When I give up trying to find a command in Office 2010, I still look up commands using the Search Commands tab on a PC that runs Office 2007.
StuartR

jscher2000
2StarLounger

Post by jscher2000 »

Thank you both, I'm sure these will help.

I noticed in the interactive guide for Word that it has an "Install" feature to use locally. That might be useful for our IT to do for us, although when I clicked the button, it didn't ask me where to save, so perhaps Silverlight assets aren't easily portable.

I looked at Search Commands and although it would be great to have in Office 2010, I think it would be almost as good to get the search results as a list without the interactivity, assuming that is what is preventing it from being ported. Perhaps someone can write a little interface over the Excel workbooks...

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

These Microsoft Migration guides are bright and perhaps useful as handouts:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel ... A101982272
MigrExcel.JPG
Although they are quite brief. Andy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

jscher2000
2StarLounger

Post by jscher2000 »

agibsonsw wrote:These Microsoft Migration guides are bright and perhaps useful as handouts:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel ... A101982272
That is good. Although a workbook having a backstage area is just weird.

By substituting some words, it was easy to find these:

Migrating to Outlook 2010 from Outlook 2003 - Outlook - Microsoft Office
Migrating to PowerPoint 2010 from PowerPoint 2003 - PowerPoint - Microsoft Office
Migrating to Word 2010 from Word 2003 - Word - Microsoft Office

Thanks for the lead.