Several Office versions

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Several Office versions

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello.
I have 3 versions of office on my computer in folders named Office 2003, etc. Now I know this is not recommended and I may occasionally have issues - but it generally works for me.
The only slight issue I have is that if I use 'connecting' features such as mail-merge, export data, etc., it doesn't always connect to or open the same Office version application.
Are there registry settings I can adjust to make Office use consistent versions? Or would I be wasting my time because as soon as I open a different version it will over-ride these settings?
Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Several Office versions

Post by HansV »

agibsonsw wrote:Or would I be wasting my time because as soon as I open a different version it will over-ride these settings?
Most probably.

If you really need three versions of Office to work completely as intended, you should create three boot partitions (requiring three Windows licences) and install one version of Office on each partition.
Best wishes,
Hans

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

I have all different versions of office on the one PC, however, other than the main one, all others are installed on different virtual PCs. The different virtual PCs have different operating systems as well, which means I can give my customers phone support on whatever windows / office setup they have from the one PC.
Cheers, Claude.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hi.
This wasn't planned, but I've had this set up for quite a while and it doesn't cause me too many problems. I know very little about setting a partition, or a mirror(?) or virtual PC and I would be nervous of attempting it. There are a few quirks here and there but I can't recall any error messages or crashes I've had because of it.

An office I work at uses a virtual set up (with Sun Virtual something..). It takes time to switch between the different Office versions, files saved in My Documents seem to disappear sometimes, and it doesn't maintain contact with USB pens. The internet also runs slowly or not at all at times. This hasn't inspired me with confidence.

Besides, Hans indicated it would cost me money!
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.