"Configuring Office 2007 on your computer ..."

jmt356
SilverLounger

"Configuring Office 2007 on your computer ..."

Post by jmt356 »

About a half a dozen of times per day on my new laptop, sometimes when I open a document, other times when I try sending an email, etc., I get a windows pop up on my laptop stating ""Configuring Office 2007 on your computer ..." at which point I select cancel and cancel set up. It is quite annoying as I currently have Office 2003 installed and am not yet ready for the upgrade. I will upgrade when I'm ready. is the only way to get rid of all of these annoying messages to uninstall the pre-installed Office 2007 trial version?

I actually started installing the program last week but aborted halfway through because I don't have time right now to learn it and will learn it in a couple of weeks when my schedule settles down. The partially aborted installation may be part of why windows keeps on trying to set up Office 2007.
Regards,

JMT

StuartR
Administrator

Re: "Configuring Office 2007 on your computer ..."

Post by StuartR »

This is a very common issue with installations that include multiple versions of Office.
You could try completely deinstalling all versions of office, then reinstall office 2003, then fully and properly install office 2007.
StuartR

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

If I remove the trial version of Office 2007, then I won't be able to reinstall it if I later want to try it out, will I? I couldn't find the installation files. I have the installation files for Office 2003 on the other hand, so uninstalling and reinstalling that wouldn't be a problem.
Regards,

JMT

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

IF you have multiple versions of Office installed on the same computer then it is essential to install them in the correct order. Oldest version first.
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'd like to emphasize Stuart's remark. Installing an older version of Office after a newer one is guaranteed to cause problems. Installing multiple versions from oldest to newest (in different folders) is not entirely trouble-free but it is known to work.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

If I remove the trial version of Office 2007, how can I reinstall it? I don't know where the installation files are on my computer. Is MS like Adobe in that I can at any time download a trial version from the Internet?
Regards,

JMT

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Since Office 2007 is not the latest version of the product, I think it is very unlikely that you would be able to download a trial version. I think the only way you are going to be able to install this is if you purchase a copy.
StuartR

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

jmt356 wrote:... I get a windows pop up on my laptop stating ""Configuring Office 2007 on your computer ..."
I see this too with 97/2000/2003 installed on one of my systems.
Since I work regularly in 2000, I added this little BATch job to my reboot sequence so that, by default, I'm in 2000 when I want it:

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\2000\Office09\Office\WINWORD.EXE" 	/regserver
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\2000\Office09\Office\Excel.exe" 	/regserver
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\2000\Office09\Office\MSACCESS.EXE"	/regserver
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\2000\Office09\Office\POWERPNT.EXE" 	/regserver
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Hmmm ... maybe I'll uninstall 2007 and get the Office 2010 trial version (the only reason I am even looking at going to a newer version of Office is becaues I want the language pack for ARabic and the only place to buy it for OFfice 2003 is on these torrents peer-shared sites that violate copyrights and aren't so secure. Otherwise, I'm totally happy with 2003 but MS won't see me the language pack).

Has anyone tried Office 2010 and if so, compared to Office 2007, is it more different than Office 2003 or more similar? I found Office 2007 frustrating because all of my 2003 shortcut keys were lost (some of these shortcuts work in Office 2007, but many (e.g., alt V, D for document map) don't. Also, I never tried the ribbons that folks on Windows Secrets Lounge mentioned). Does Office 2010 restore these shortcuts?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Office 2010 addresses some of the shortcomings of Office 2007, but the interface is largely the same.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

but it probably has a lot of bugs no? I read somewhere online that hundreds were discovered.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Each existing version has lots of bugs. Each new version has lots of bugs. But if you wish, you can wait for the release of Office 2010 SP1 (it is currently being tested), many of the reported bugs should be squashed (and no doubt, new ones introduced, but hopefully a smaller number).
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Based on Stuart’s earlier post, I figured that if I just completed the installation of 2007 on my system, then I would no longer be getting these error messages, since then 2007 would be fully installed after 2003. So I tried to complete installation of the trial version that was on my system, but it just asked for the activation code, which leads me to believe that Office 2007 was already preinstalled on the system and so installing Office 2003 afterwards caused all these problems. So I think I will just completely uninstall 2007 and 2003 and then reinstall only 2003.

This means that if I ever later want to try 2007, I’m out of luck, no? MS doesn’t store the installation files on new laptops does it? It just pre-installs the software but doesn’t keep the installation files on new laptops?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Microsoft doesn't (pre)install anything. It's the OEM (the company that built your laptop) that preinstalls software on your computer and that decides whether to store the installation files. On OEM machines, there is often a hidden partition containing the installation files for Windows and Office.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I have, in addition to my C drive, a D drive that displays the message "This area of your hard drive contains files used to perform a system recovery ... do not delete or alter any of these files" as well as an E drive that contains a Hewlett-Packard folder that in turn contains a BIOS, BIOSUPDATE, and SystemDiags folder. I would assume the installation files would be in my D drive? If so, is there a way around that message in order to get to the contents therein? There is no continue buton or anything else very obvious.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Perhaps someone who has an HP laptop or knows more about them can answer that.
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

jmt356 wrote:I have, in addition to my C drive, a D drive that displays the message "This area of your hard drive contains files used to perform a system recovery ... do not delete or alter any of these files" as well as an E drive that contains a Hewlett-Packard folder that in turn contains a BIOS, BIOSUPDATE, and SystemDiags folder. I would assume the installation files would be in my D drive? If so, is there a way around that message in order to get to the contents therein? There is no continue buton or anything else very obvious.
Remember that the recovery partition is used to restore your system to the condition it was when it left the factory. You have very little, if any, leeway as to what to install once you start the recovery process. If you can actually explore the D: drive, finding the correct installation files can be a challenge as they are often not named what you might think.

Note: If you decide to take the recovery route be sure to back up all your important data.

Joe
Joe

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Most of these "Recover Partitions" include the "Trial" versions of the programs installed at the factory.
Which also includes ALL of the other OEM installed stuff.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living