Office 2010?

t8ntlikly
NewLounger

Office 2010?

Post by t8ntlikly »

I have been boning up on Office 2010, and am totally confused. Microsoft seems to be pushing the apps towards their SkyDrive. I have been using SkyDrive for photos and other odds and ends, but have been using their Office live, for sharing documents. I was under the impression that that, was what Office Live was for, and where the documents in Office 2010 would end up so to speak.
Can anyone shed some light on this?
I have not downloaded Office 2010 beta, and quite frankly will probably not go there until they get a few things ironed out. :confused:

HansV
Administrator

Re: Office 2010?

Post by HansV »

They do appear to concentrate on moving everything into the cloud. I´m not sure the average user will appreciate this.
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

If you use the Office 2010 desktop products SkyDrive is just an optional place to store data. The Office 2010 desktop suites save files just the same as Office 2007 (and earlier) as far as locations go. The Office 2010 web applications will create and update files from SkyDrive. Remember that the Office 2010 web applications will not be as fully funtional as the desktop applications. Currently, Microsoft envisions the web applications as a complement to the desktop applications.

Also,There is much confusion about the Office Live shared space and the Office 2010 web applications. I don't know what Microsoft plans to do about clearing that up. Right now, Microsoft may not even know.

Joe
Joe

t8ntlikly
NewLounger

Post by t8ntlikly »

LOL well count me in as one of the confused! I absolutely love Office Live. I post a lot of proposals etc. on there for my customers and give them access to their particular folder. at first there was some reluctance on their part to use it, but they started warming up especially after some had misplaced their proposals, and I wasn't near a computer to get them to them.
I do use Skydrive to post personal stuff on but that is it.

Wendell
4StarLounger

Post by Wendell »

Well, it's official. As reported at Office blog, Office 2010 was sent to manufacturing yesterday. Looks like if you have a subscription you should be able to download it in a couple of weeks, and it will be on retail shelves in June. Let the fun begin (again). :hairout:
Wendell
You can't see the view if you don't climb the mountain!