Is there a new version of Office on the horizon?

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Is there a new version of Office on the horizon?

Post by John Gray »

Still happily on Office 2010, but wondering whether to proceed towards Office 2021.
But if there is an Office 2023 in the offing...

PS Nope, I don't want Microsoft 365. Honest.
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Is there a new version of Office on the horizon?

Post by JoeP »

AFAIK, Microsoft has not announced a future perpetual license version of Office beyond Office 2021. They have said in the past that there will be those versions as long as demand warrants it (interpret that at your own risk).

Based on past releases, there could be an Office 2024 or 2025.
Joe

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Thanks, Joe!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

Interesting to me is that there is an end date listed on this web page for MS Office

Being out of the loop of PCs for a long while, I didn't even realize there was a stand-alone edition of MS Office that could be purchased. Now, the question for me is whether the purchase would be useful for more than the 3 years that are supposedly left of its shelf life?
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That end date means that Microsoft won't provide support anymore after that date, but the software will continue working as long as your hardware/operating system combination allows, usually for many years after Microsoft's support ends. Chris Greaves still uses Office 2003 without problems!
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
15 Mar 2023, 20:04
Chris Greaves still uses Office 2003 without problems!
:laugh: :rofl: :laugh: :rofl: :laugh: :rofl: :laugh: :rofl: :laugh: :rofl: :laugh: :rofl: :laugh: :rofl: :laugh: :rofl: :laugh: :rofl:

Truth is that Chris Greaves still uses Office 2003 without problems until a new version of Windows comes out, or a new laptop arrives, then he uses Office 2003 with problems until he tweaks like anything and wrestles 2003 to the mat. After which he continues to uses Office 2003 without problems

I suspect that 90% of people using MSWord need nothing more powerful than Word2003.
Excel2003 might be a stretch for those who need modern suites of powerful functions, but again, looking back over my years in business with people using Word & Excel, most folks weren't aware that, say, Toolbars could be modified, and since I knew how to record a macro, AND could build a database (whether or not it worked), I was lauded as a Trainer.

@Skitterbug: you say that you are coming "back to PCs", so my guess is that you would fit right into my category.

I confess to being interested in this thread. Office2003 is 20+ years old and won't survive forever.

Cheers, Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle