Office 2019 and 365

Leif
Administrator

Office 2019 and 365

Post by Leif »

We (at work) are currently running Office 2019 but may need to move to 365 to allow interoperability with other Microsoft software (Business Central), and I would like to experience 365 before committing to it.

I am trying to find out if I can run both at the same time, but searching is getting me conflicting answers - e.g. Installing Office 365 and Office 2019 On The Same Computer - Microsoft Community.

Does anyone have any guidance on this?
(There is a tempting free trial on the page linked to above, and it would be interesting to know what the worst that could happen is before I click on it... :grin: )

TIA
Leif

HansV
Administrator

Re: Office 2019 and 365

Post by HansV »

This is very confusing since Microsoft releases two different versions of Office: an installer version (MSI) and a click-to-run version (C2R).
You can find out which one you have by looking at File > Account in any Office application.
If you see Click-to-Run in the text under About Excel (or About Word, etc.), you have the C2R version. If not, you have the MSI version.
S1741.png
You can install an MSI version of one and a C2R version of the other side by side, but not two C2R versions.

Also: Mixing the 64-bit version of one and the 32-bit version of the other is a hard no-no.

See Install and use different versions of Office on the same PC.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans