making a searchable list (help please)

jaystarter
3StarLounger

making a searchable list (help please)

Post by jaystarter »

Not sure where to post this it might be a WORD or EXCEL subject? anyway...
I can log on to a local library on line account and see all the books loaned over a period of time. They come on several pages (screenshot). I can select copy and paste these titles into notepad and save as txt files.
I'm guessing there must be an easy way to transfer these txt files into a spreadsheet or something. What I want to do is to have a searchable record so that I can search for a particular author or book title to see if has been read in the past. Any hints as to how to go about this please?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeff

HansV
Administrator

Re: making a searchable list (help please)

Post by HansV »

Try copying the list from the website and pasting it directly into an Excel worksheet. Does that produce a reasonable result?
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I agree with Hans. If data is in a table structure, it typically will parse correctly when transferred to Excel.

Copy/paste will be the easiest, but alternatively, you could use the Data ribbon in Excel to import the web page. In the resulting import dialog, navigate to the online page, mark it using the built in options and then import. Another option, though possibly unfamiliar to you is using Power Query (a powerful data extraction tool built into Excel 2016>) to collect the data.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Post by jaystarter »

HansV wrote:Try copying the list from the website and pasting it directly into an Excel worksheet. Does that produce a reasonable result?
So easy. :clapping: that's all I had to do. Don't know why I didn't try the obvious just getting lazy I suppose
Jeff

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Post by jaystarter »

Rudi wrote:I agree with Hans. If data is in a table structure, it typically will parse correctly when transferred to Excel.

Copy/paste will be the easiest, but alternatively, you could use the Data ribbon in Excel to import the web page. In the resulting import dialog, navigate to the online page, mark it using the built in options and then import. Another option, though possibly unfamiliar to you is using Power Query (a powerful data extraction tool built into Excel 2016>) to collect the data.
Copy/paste works adequately for what I want and indeed Power Query is completely unfamiliar to me. All I want is a record and maybe list in alphabetical or date order. Thanks for the input.
Jeff