Code copyrights question

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Code copyrights question

Post by ABabeNChrist »

I wasnt sure where to post this question. Its a question in general that covers microsoft office programs. When writing simple code in VBA do people have copyrights to these types of codes.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Code copyrights question

Post by HansV »

I don't think it is possible to copyright VBA code itself - it'd be impossible to determine that code is uniquely yours. But if you have created a specific application in for example Excel, you may be able to copyright the use of the application (including the VBA). I'd consult an intellectual property lawyer if you want to be sure.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

My understanding is that you CAN copyright the code, in the same way as you could copyright a book or a poem, as a thing that you have written. I don't think you can copyright "use of the application", but you could apply for a patent on the design of an application.

I am with Hans on this one. If it is valuable then consult a properly trained lawyer. If you simply want to protect your future rights, and it is not valuable enough to cover the legal fees, then print out a copy of the code, sign and date it, and post it to yourself in a sealed envelope (I assume that the US postal service uses date stamped postmarks). Then leave the envelope unopened. The standard practice in the UK is to make two of these, so that one can be opened by your lawyer in the future and the other can still be sealed when it is used in court.
StuartR

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

Thank you Hans and StuartR
I was just wondering to what extremes that someone can go.
You can go to the copyright web site to see if someone has a copyright, but not the specifics.