Editing Property Sheet

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Editing Property Sheet

Post by AlanMiller »

<To mod - please move this to the correct forum if appropriate>

[Edit - All relates to Microsoft Office Word 97 - 2003 Template (.dot) and Microsoft Office Word 97 - 2003 Document (.doc)]

I've made up a generic Word template to be distributed to a group of authors, with the usual "varying" software versions (and degrees of computer skills). In an effort to make features work properly across this range, I decided to store all metadata in Document Property fields. The idea is that users can customize these via the file properties sheets tabs - Details and Custom. For instance, the owner's contact phone number is entered in Properties -> Custom -> Telephone Number; the multiline Details -> Comments tag holds the address block. This avoids issues with permission to run macros, autotext disappearing, novices getting lost working with Fields etc. - in other words, as universal as possible. Two questions relating to this...

I'm surprised that I have been unable to find a little freebie utility with the ability to easily change these editable fields/tags, presenting them in a nice windowed form after drag/dropping a file onto the app. Everything I've seen seems to be limited to the very generic file attributes - Read Only, Date Modified etc. While it is very easy to change them from the Properties dialogs in the file context menu, it would be easier still for novice users to have such an app. Anybody know of something geared to the Property Sheets for MS Office files?

Second issue is the age-old one of Word not updating (some) fields unless forced to do so. I have included instructions for users to use Ctrl+A, F9 if they think things have not updated e.g. word count. They also must double-click header and footer regions and repeat the process. I'm expecting the answer "No" :nope: but is there any way, without using VBA or the "sometimes works" Print Preview, to ensure that fields update properly, at least when a document is first opened?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Alan

HansV
Administrator

Re: Editing Property Sheet

Post by HansV »

Graham Mayor (Word MVP) and Greg Maxey (former Word MVP) have created a free add-in that lets you view and edit document properties; it works in Word 2007 and later only. See Word Variables, Properties and Content Controls and Bookmarks editor add-in for Word 2007/2010.

If the user has set the option to update fields before printing (which includes print preview), switching to print preview and back should be dependable.
All other solutions I know of involve VBA.
Best wishes,
Hans

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Re: Editing Property Sheet

Post by AlanMiller »

HansV wrote:Graham Mayor (Word MVP) and Greg Maxey (former Word MVP) have created a free add-in that lets you view and edit document properties; it works in Word 2007 and later only. See Word Variables, Properties and Content Controls and Bookmarks editor add-in for Word 2007/2010.

If the user has set the option to update fields before printing (which includes print preview), switching to print preview and back should be dependable.
All other solutions I know of involve VBA.
Thanks Hans. I'll certainly follow up the add-in for my own purposes at least; although I think that even an add-in might be too challenging for some of my target audience. I was hoping for something like a desktop drag & drop icon, which could open up a form laying out all the read/write properties. The fact that such an app doesn't exist leads me to thinking that there might be something problematic with accessing/ enumerating all those properties - which might vary from file type to file type. I might look to trying to write one if I ever get the time. :time:

I have actually set my own 2007 to force fielld updates from print preview, but it doesn't seem to work for all fields, or even consistently. Seems a bit flakey.

Alan