OE vs WLM

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

OE vs WLM

Post by stuck »

Perhaps this should be in the General Windows board, if so please do the necessary...

BobH asked about OE in post 7731and thus WLM came up further down that thread. I'm still on OE6 but willing to give WLM a spin subject to a couple of must have features:
1) multiple identities, just like OE
2) the ability to create a message rule that says "do not download if message is not for a particular address"

The way our family email works at home requires those two features. Can WLM do them?

Ken

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: OE vs WLM

Post by JoeP »

1.) You can have either or the following:
multiple XP user accounts and an instance of WLM for each XP user account with its own e-mail account
Or one XP user account and one instance of WLM with multiple email accounts in the one WLM instance.

2.) If I understand what you are asking - if you have multiple XP users each with their own WLM & email account WLM will only download the email for the account to which it connects.

Joe
Joe

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Found a Wikipedia article that, under a heading 'Differences from Windows Mail / Outlook Express', states:
# The Identities feature is not available.
So it looks like I won't be using WLM.

Ken

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Post by IanWilson »

stuck wrote:Found a Wikipedia article that, under a heading 'Differences from Windows Mail / Outlook Express', states:
# The Identities feature is not available.
So it looks like I won't be using WLM.

Ken
... but if you use different user accounts, you don't need the identity feature.

Ian

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

No doubt there are workarounds but I don't want multiple XP user accounts. The amount of use the PC gets (plus there is nothing confidential on it) doesn't warrant separate logins for me and Mrs stuck.

Nor does Mrs s have a separate email acc. Her mail is sent to an alias (hername@userid.isp.com/.co.uk) on my acc. We do each have our own OE identity, which pulls down only stuff addressed to that id (hence the need for the 'do not download' rule) but switching identity within OE takes a lot less time than having to log off one user acc. and into another.

Ken

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Better yet, get her a NEW machine and her OWN not the halfway shared email account and let her run her machine the way she wants to. :evilgrin:
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

:rofl: You offering to provide all the support?

I'm afraid Mrs s is not exactly a big fan of PCs (or Mac's before Bowlie or Skitterbug dive in!) :flee:

Trust me, I've done it this way because this way I control the system :sneaky: and that makes it quick and easy to work out what to do when I hear the words, "Dearest, it's gone wrong again."

Ken

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

stuck wrote: :rofl: You offering to provide all the support?

I'm afraid Mrs s is not exactly a big fan of PCs (or Mac's before Bowlie or Skitterbug dive in!) :flee:

Trust me, I've done it this way because this way I control the system :sneaky: and that makes it quick and easy to work out what to do when I hear the words, "Dearest, it's gone wrong again."

Ken
Sure, just provide the round trip tickets! :evilgrin:

But, when you get her, her own machine, just tell her that she must send me a set of round trip tickets for support and then she MAY try and learn what to do.

What does she do when you are not around?
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living