Outlook Express Question

BobH
UraniumLounger

Outlook Express Question

Post by BobH »

Bob's post about OE reminded me that I need to install OE so that I can see its panels when talking with people who use OE when they call me for help. I use Thunderbird and would not use OE or Outlook but would like to install them just to be able to replicate steps and see the same things they see.

I have WinXP Pro SP3 installed and fully updated, but I did not install OE when I installed the OS. Can I install it now without having to reinstall the OS? If so, where can I find the OE install files in this installation?

Similar question applies to Outlook. I have Office XP (yes, I'm way behind the power curve; but, then, I'm retired and no longer need the power). Is is possible to install Outlook for the same purposes of helping others? Where would I find the files needed to do so?

TIA
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Re: Outlook Express Question

Post by Hey Jude »

I use XP Pro and OE on my desktop. The question is what IE you are using. If you are using IE6 then OE is part of IE6. I did however find this article by Ask Leo! regarding this question which may explain it in more detail until I locate it on my computer OE installation

I did find OE from Tucows site http://www.tucows.com/preview/194179
and other sites if you just Google it.
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Nobody should use Outlook Express any more. Its successor Windows Live Mail has been available for some time now (Windows Live Mail)

Do you already have other components of Office XP installed? If I remember correctly, you can add Outlook as follows:
- Activate the Add/Remove Programs control panel.
- Select your version of Office XP in the list of installed programs.
- Click Change...
- Select Add or Remove Components, then click Next.
- Select Outlook, and select Run from this computer.
- The rest should be straightforward; you'll probably need to insert your Office XP CD at some point.
Best wishes,
Hans

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

HansV wrote:Nobody should use Outlook Express any more. Its successor Windows Live Mail has been available for some time now (Windows Live Mail)
I suppose I should update then eh? I use WLM on my 7 and Vista but have stuck with OE on my XP desktop although Gmail and Yahoo are my default applications. Ahhhh me....

P.S. I'm "anybody" so "nobody" doesn't apply to me haha!~~!

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I was able to install OE by going to CP A/R Programs and A/R Windows Components where I found and checked the box and followed the bouncing ball. I now have OE installed so that I can mimic what others are asking about.

Now to find Outlook.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

BobH wrote:I was able to install OE by going to CP A/R Programs and A/R Windows Components where I found and checked the box and followed the bouncing ball. I now have OE installed so that I can mimic what others are asking about.

Now to find Outlook.
Personally, I have no issues with OE and it is comparable to Eudora which I regretfully gave up when I got OE. Glad you found what you needed. I will heed the master's advice and upgrade to WLM.

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Post by IanWilson »

Hey Jude wrote:Personally, I have no issues with OE and it is comparable to Eudora which I regretfully gave up when I got OE. Glad you found what you needed. I will heed the master's advice and upgrade to WLM.
Whatever happened to "if it ain't broke..."? But I have taken to using WLM rather than OE for News groups, and it seems nice and easy to use. (I use Outlook for emil.)

Ian

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

BobH wrote:I was able to install OE by going to CP A/R Programs and A/R Windows Components where I found and checked the box and followed the bouncing ball. I now have OE installed so that I can mimic what others are asking about.

Now to find Outlook.
I'm afraid that you will have to buy a copy of Outlook. It's not free, but is offered as a stand alone installation or part of the Office Suite of programs.
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Hey Jude wrote:
HansV wrote:Nobody should use Outlook Express any more. Its successor Windows Live Mail has been available for some time now (Windows Live Mail)
I suppose I should update then eh? I use WLM on my 7 and Vista but have stuck with OE on my XP desktop although Gmail and Yahoo are my default applications. Ahhhh me....

P.S. I'm "anybody" so "nobody" doesn't apply to me haha!~~!
So, I'm also a holdout for OE on my XP partition. Works for me!
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

viking33 wrote: So, I'm also a holdout for OE on my XP partition. Works for me!
I do like OE and I do believe in "if it ain't broke...." adage so thanks Ian and Bob......I rarely access WLM on this laptop so will have to try it out to see what keeps me using Gmail and Yahoo and Thunderbird.

Cyberdance
NewLounger

Post by Cyberdance »

I can relate to "if it aint broke", so still using OE, it has been good for me (sorry HansV, I still have no courage :smile: :-)

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Post by IanWilson »

Cyberdance wrote:I can relate to "if it aint broke", so still using OE, it has been good for me (sorry HansV, I still have no courage :smile: :-)
Although, WLM has a calendar feature that OE doesn't have, so if that is important to you, it might be worth trying.

Ian

Cyberdance
NewLounger

Post by Cyberdance »

Thanks Ian, I have all that on my phone lol :-)

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

And I'm cell phone challenged and only use that for calls. Everything else is on my PC and, for the record, I'm still using OE as well. But, I'm thinking of moving to WLM in the near future. After I do an image backup, of course.
You may be dyslexic.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I do like OE and I do believe in "if it ain't broke...."
The problem with OE and this attitiude is that OE is well known for its bugs with database handling/corruption and by the time you notice that there is a problem you could easily have lost important information.

Joe
Joe

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I found Outlook (after having found and installed OE) among my OfficeXP app files and it is now installed. I will only use these programs so that I can walk through their functions while talking friends through issues on the phone.

Posting here just to sort of close the loop on my original post.

Thanks for all the help.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

Thanks for posting back with your solution. It should work just fine. :smile:
You may be dyslexic.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Doc Watson wrote:Thanks for posting back with your solution. It should work just fine. :smile:
I can't quite get into WLM on my 7 laptop so have Thunderbird (latest update per TonyE) installed and it's working very similarly to OE. So I'm happy :grin: