Can't get native resolution on 22" screen

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Can't get native resolution on 22" screen

Post by John Gray »

I've just acquired a second-hand XP Pro PC (Intel 82945G graphics chipset) and a 22" LG monitor, default resolution 1680x1050.

Unfortunately the graphics 'card' doesn't support 1680x1050, the nearest being 1600x1200, with the maximum supported being 2048x1536.

I downloaded the so-called driver ZIP file from the LG website, which contains but three files:

Code: Select all

W2234.inf   1,253 bytes
W2234.icm     676 bytes
W2234.cat  10,719 bytes
If I try to Update Driver for the plug-and-play monitor, it objects to the W2234.inf file, saying that the driver update "cannot continue".

It looks to me as if there should be a whole lot more driver files from the original drivers CD, which of course I do not have...

Any thoughts, please?
LG_W2234S.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Re: Can't get native resolution on 22" screen

Post by jonwallace »

In the Monitor tab of Display properties, untick the "hide modes that this monitor cannot display" box, then go back to Adapter tab and click list all modes. et voila (well maybe)
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Sadly that option is greyed-out...
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

jonwallace
5StarLounger

Post by jonwallace »

John Gray wrote:Sadly that option is greyed-out...
Maybe try updating the video driver from http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/hi ... /intel945g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; would help.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Nice idea, Jon, but unfortunately the video driver is already at the latest (Feb 2008!) level...
John Gray

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

I wonder whether it is the case that, regardless of what is in the monitor driver's INF file, there must be specific support for the particular resolution in the graphics card's driver?

The INF file for the monitor driver has 1680x1050 and other monitor-specific information in it, but I cannot get the Intel graphics card to recognise anything other than "Plug and Play monitor"...
John Gray

jonwallace
5StarLounger

Post by jonwallace »

If you're feeling adventurous, you could try here http://software.intel.com/en-us/article ... -graphics/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
John

― Teddie O. Rahube

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

John Gray wrote:It looks to me as if there should be a whole lot more driver files from the original drivers CD, which of course I do not have...

Any thoughts, please?
That's what you get from a monitor manufacturer, usually; an ICM file (Image Color Matching) and setup information. The ICM file, i.e. the profile, can be added on the Color (Colour :grin:) Management tab (it should be found in C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\color I think).

As you say, there must be a match with the graphics card, but that's usually not a problem.

How do you try to install it? What do you see in the Device Manager? (Could perhaps check the Setupapi.log to see what's going on.)

With the same ratio for widescreens, 1920*1200 would be the next step, not 1600*1200, but that's for even larger monitors, I think.

There are some alternative drivers (but they say there could be side effects), though I don't know which one you are using, if you have already tried:
Unable to use the native resolution of some displays
Symptom(s):
You are unable to use the native resolution of some displays when running Intel chipset graphics. For example, resolutions like 1920x1080, 1680x1050, and 1440x900 are not available in graphics properties.
http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-028886.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some have reported that some cables may affect the ability to transfer info from the monitor to the graphics card, i.e. when it asks for resolutions.

And if you decide to remove and start over, you could check for "ghosts", non present devices, in the Device Manager; at a command prompt:
set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
start devmgmt.msc
In the Device Manager select View and Show hidden devices.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Argus - thanks for the link to the Intel "unable to use native resolution of some displays" driver. I will hasten to work to try this!

John - your link looks interesting but clearly requires me to think - so I'll try Argus's proposed solution first!
John Gray

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Installing the Intel "unable to use native resolution of some displays" driver apparently made no difference whatever, to my considerable annoyance.

So I managed to blag a replacement 1920x1080 monitor, which IS supported by the Intel graphics card, for another £10, and which works perfectly.

Thanks to all for their suggestions. It is quite amazing to get problems like this when Windows XP has been out for soooo long!
John Gray

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

John Gray wrote:Installing the Intel "unable to use native resolution of some displays" driver apparently made no difference whatever, to my considerable annoyance.
Mmm, I can understand that; as you can see below, it has been tried by some without success, so you are not alone.
John Gray wrote:Thanks to all for their suggestions. It is quite amazing to get problems like this when Windows XP has been out for soooo long!
I don't think it's about the OS, and writing drivers for it, rather the hardware. And how long it's been around before they decide to move on. Similar monitors were probably not that common 2001/2002; new tech. could also be introduced and only get limited support if using an old OS, and after some year no support.

I understand this was a second-hand PC, and that you have to deal with all kind of computers at work, but I've found more problems with branded computers such as Dell, HP etc. (nothing wrong with those brands, they are good, but drivers can be a problem at least when they are getting old) than with white box computers. In the latter case you can often find updated drivers from, say, Nvidia etc. On the other hand, updated drivers are usually aiming at the latest tech. so there might be no changes for the old HW.

But it doesn't have to be about the drivers. It could very well be a problem with the cable. But with a replacement, and at that price, it seems like mission is accomplished with that PC. :smile:

If you want to put a few more minutes at the issue:
The 1680x1050 seems to be a stubborn resolution with this hardware; :grin: as shown in the post that John linked to above; also see these forum examples:
http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/ ... hp?t=58940" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/ ... kw=moninfo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/ ... kw=moninfo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or this one (another guy with the same problem jumps into the thread :laugh:): It seems like cables can cause problems as I said earlier; one of them had a problem with a DVI-VGA adapter using a VGA cable, but when changing to DVI everything worked; the other one solved it with a little edit of the setup information file after having used a monitor information utility (often mentioned in the threads): i.e. an edit as mentioned in the post John linked to.
John Gray wrote:So I managed to blag a replacement 1920x1080 monitor, which IS supported by the Intel graphics card, for another £10, and which works perfectly.
Blag? :hiding: :laugh: Well, you did pay for it.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

I actually have a Dell 1680x1050 screen at work - but it's been running happily off a Dell Optiplex for a year or two, now.

You may well be interested to know that my post on this topic in 'another place' has yet to receive its first reply.
This demonstrates a considerable difference in expertise in Eileen's Lounge people compared with the other place's relatively enormous clientèle, I feel...
John Gray