Safe Site for Downlading FDisk

BobH
UraniumLounger

Safe Site for Downlading FDisk

Post by BobH »

Finally, I have a new hard drive for my HP laptop. When I tried to load WiNXP from CD I received a message, NTLDR mssing, indicating that the MBR is missing. I have a too small HDD that I have installed in order to get to the www. I'd like to download a copy of FDISK (because I can't find one at hand) to a thumb drive from which I'll boot and run FDISK to define a single partition and acquire an MBR.

I would very much appreciate advice on a safe place from which to download FDISK and anything else I'll need. If my plan is bad, please don't hesitate to tell me and suggest a better one.

TIA
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: Safe Site for Downlading FDisk

Post by John Gray »

It might be worth you looking at the BootDisk website?
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

From here.....

If you are attempting to install Windows XP or Windows 2000 and are receiving this error message as the computer is booting verify that your computer BIOS has the proper boot settings. For example, if you are attempting to run the install from the CD-ROM make sure the CD-ROM is the first boot device, and not the hard disk drive.

Second, when the computer is booting you should receive the below prompt.

Press any key to boot from the CD

Important: When you see this message press any key such as the Enter key immediately, otherwise it will try booting from the hard drive and likely get the NTLDR error again.

Note: If you are not receiving the above message and your BIOS boot options are set properly it's also possible that your CD-ROM drive may not be booting from the CD-ROM properly. Verify the jumpers are set properly on the CD-ROM drive.
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, guys!

All fixed now! I discovered that an Acronis Full Disk restore would create the MBR that I needed.

Sometimes it's best not to work on things for too long at a time - especially at night!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016