Keyboard mapping errors

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Keyboard mapping errors

Post by John Gray »

This is on a fairly old Dell Inspiron 1300 running XP Pro, where, although the UK keyboard is loaded, there appears to be some effects from the US keyboard, such as " interchanged with @ (but that's not just the only problem). Assuming I can't fix this by changing to the US keyboard, rebooting, changing back to the UK keyboard and rebooting, can anyone suggest a keyboard mapping program which they have used successfully which might be able to help me out?

Would Clavier (for example) be able to remap actual keys, rather than assign hot-keys?
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Re: Keyboard mapping errors

Post by Bigaldoc »

John, I don't think you can remap with Clavier. A long time ago, I used this program to "map" the Caps Lock on the keyboard to the Tab Key function because my ignorant finger kept hitting caps lock when I was aiming for the tab.

Again, I don't know if it will do what you need, in light of the British vs USA complication but it wouldn't hurt to give it a look.

MapKeyboard - Freeware keyboard remapper

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Thanks, Al. I had a quick look at it, but couldn't see how to assign key combinations, like Shift+2. Also, the UK layout of physical keys differs slightly from the US layout. I will have to investigate further.

It's really odd, because the standard UK keyboard driver ought to sort this out without requiring anything on top.
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

In Regedit, what is the value of the "1" entry in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Keyboard Layout\Preload? If there is an entry in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Keyboard Layout\Substitutes that correspnds to this, what is its value?

Same questions for HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Keyboard Layout\Preload and HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Keyboard Layout\Substitutes.
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Thanks, Hans. I'll have a look when next I can get at the laptop.
John Gray

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

I managed to play with the laptop this morning, and was surprised to see the keyboard map selection pop-up. So I changed to the UK keyboard, and deleted the US keyboard, and all appears well. Unusually unlike the usual problem...
John Gray

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That's a lot easier than meddling with the registry! :smile:
Best wishes,
Hans