VIA Master IDE Controller

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

VIA Master IDE Controller

Post by Pilgrim »

I am trying to resolve an irritating issue with an older XP machine. At every boot, it gets the "Found New Hardware" dialog and wants to install a driver for "VIA Master IDE Controller". When I got through the wizard and let it search for new drivers both on the system and online, nothing is found. I close the wizard and everything works fine thereafter.

So, how can I either find the correct driver for this item or stop the prompt?

TIA
Jeff

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: VIA Master IDE Controller

Post by stuck »

Have you tried looking for the relevant driver here:
http://www.via.com.tw/en/support/drivers.jsp

Ken

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Pilgrim wrote:I am trying to resolve an irritating issue with an older XP machine. At every boot, it gets the "Found New Hardware" dialog and wants to install a driver for "VIA Master IDE Controller". When I got through the wizard and let it search for new drivers both on the system and online, nothing is found. I close the wizard and everything works fine thereafter.

So, how can I either find the correct driver for this item or stop the prompt?

TIA
Have you tried to go ahead and install the driver?
Does it ( the system ) have VIA chipsets?
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

stuck wrote:Have you tried looking for the relevant driver here:
http://www.via.com.tw/en/support/drivers.jsp
Yes, looked there and couldn't find anything related. But thanks for the suggestion.
Jeff

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

viking33 wrote:Have you tried to go ahead and install the driver?
Yes, I have followed through the wizard but there are no drivers found either on the system or online or through Windows Update.

I've looked through all the relevant sections of the system using Aida64 and SIW and I see no mention of VIA anywhere. It is a custom built PC with an Intel CPU and "unknown" motherboard. If necessary, I could physically open the case and see if there is any stamping on the MB to identify it. Both the Northbridge and Southbridge are indicated to be Intel.
Jeff

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Pilgrim wrote:
viking33 wrote:Have you tried to go ahead and install the driver?
Yes, I have followed through the wizard but there are no drivers found either on the system or online or through Windows Update.

I've looked through all the relevant sections of the system using Aida64 and SIW and I see no mention of VIA anywhere. It is a custom built PC with an Intel CPU and "unknown" motherboard. If necessary, I could physically open the case and see if there is any stamping on the MB to identify it. Both the Northbridge and Southbridge are indicated to be Intel.
I'd go inside the case to check the MB but if you need a download, look here:
http://download.cnet.com/VIA-Bus-Master ... 75727.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BOB

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

Bob,

Clicking on the "Download" link redirects you to HERE, the VIA website. So, that one didn't pan out.
Jeff

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Pilgrim wrote:It is a custom built PC with an Intel CPU and "unknown" motherboard.
Given that Windows finds a VIA IDE controller is missing that suggests (whatever the brand) the motherboard incorporates said piece of hardware. If you open up the case and look for some sort of model number that should give you enough of a clue as to which driver it is you need from the VIA website.

Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

stuck wrote:Given that Windows finds a VIA IDE controller is missing that suggests (whatever the brand) the motherboard incorporates said piece of hardware. If you open up the case and look for some sort of model number that should give you enough of a clue as to which driver it is you need from the VIA website.
Yep, agreed... opening the case and physically checking the motherboard seems like the only alternative. And hopefully there will be available the information needed to reveal what VIA chip it has. I'll be back at that office tomorrow and will try and do that without causing any downtime for the individual who uses that machine. :grin:
Jeff

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

You could always download ALL the options under 'Select your VIA product' (there only seems to be 12) and then when the hardware wizard kicks in, point it to the folder holding all those files in the hope that the wizard knows what it's looking for and so might find a match :grin:

Ken

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Pilgrim wrote:Bob,

Clicking on the "Download" link redirects you to HERE, the VIA website. So, that one didn't pan out.
If you have cookies enabled, it is a starting point for getting to the various VIA download options. As stated, checking inside the case should be your next step.
BOB

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

viking33 wrote:If you have cookies enabled, it is a starting point for getting to the various VIA download options. As stated, checking inside the case should be your next step.
Okay, the MB is an Intel P4BWA w/ Intel® Q965 & ICH8DO Chipset. So, I am wondering WHY this VIA error message?

Any thoughts now with this new info?

TIA
Jeff

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

:scratch: Dunno but since you've already said
Pilgrim wrote:It is a custom built PC
that means there is some Custom item in there somewhere and that item is a VIA product. :shrug:

Ken

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

Pilgrim wrote: Okay, the MB is an Intel P4BWA w/ Intel® Q965 & ICH8DO Chipset. So, I am wondering WHY this VIA error message?

Any thoughts now with this new info?

TIA
If it's this motherboard, then the spec given doesn't mention IDE. Maybe you have an IDE card for legacy devices (CDROM perhaps), if so, then you'll need to pull it out and find out which. Is there anything under IDE controllers in device manager?
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

jonwallace wrote: If it's this motherboard, then the spec given doesn't mention IDE. Maybe you have an IDE card for legacy devices (CDROM perhaps), if so, then you'll need to pull it out and find out which. Is there anything under IDE controllers in device manager?
Sorry for the late reply, but I've been swamped with little time to spare. Okay... from what I've been able to see, both physically and via Aida64 information, there is nothing related to VIA, chip or otherwise. The only item I have not been able to research up to now is the laser machine which is connected to the motherboard by a serial cable. Aside from calling the company who manufacturers the laser machine and asking them if it has its own board which uses a VIA chip, and if so, how I can install drivers for it, I don't see any solution.
Jeff

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Can you not unplug serial cable and then boot the PC? If that stops it bellyaching about VIA then you know where the problem is. If it doesn't then :scratch:

Ken