What Happened to My Task Bar?

BobH
UraniumLounger

What Happened to My Task Bar?

Post by BobH »

Running WinXP Pro SP-3, I did some housekeeping last night. I ran CCleaner cleaning up both Internet and Registry (no problems found or fixed on the Registry). I also ran a Spybot Search and Destroy scan without finding any problems. I tried to run Lavasoft Adaware, too, but could never get it to run without error.

Today, when I booted, the customizations I had made to my task bar - where I keep a list of shortcuts to the lest of the columns of dots - had disappeared. Can anyone tell me if the customizations are gone and, if not, how to get them back?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Claude
cheese lizard

Re: What Happened to My Task Bar?

Post by Claude »

When you right-click on the task bar and selected Toolbars, is the "quick Launch" toolbar selected ?
Cheers, Claude.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

If your taskbar has been washed clean you might have put too much detergent in your machine, so to speak :grin:

In its default mode CCleaner is generally safe but if you tick absolutely every possible option it offers then it will remove some customisations. Double check what you've got ticked on the Windows tab. When you tick some of them you get a helpful pop-up about the consequences of selecting them.

Ken

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks for the replies, guys!

Claude your post made me realize that I've had this problem before (and, embarrassingly, sought and found help here at Eileen's Lounge to fix it). It was indeed the quick launch toolbar that needed to be turned on.

I'm having a bit of a different problem, now, though. It used to be that I could drag and drop the shortcut titles to position them where I wanted. Now, I can move some of them but not other.

I'm beginning to think that I've got some hardware glitches. Gonna do another image backup today.

Ken, I'm pretty selective about what I allow CCleaner to work on. I hadn't changed any options since the last use.

Again, thanks for the help.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs