defragging files

sciencemagic
StarLounger

defragging files

Post by sciencemagic »

For sometime I have defragged my computer. But, lately when I defrag, I notice I can't get all 100% through the defrag process when I get the message, not all files were able to be defragged. I view the report, and I can see the files that are in question, but I can't see how to fix the problem, with those infected files. I've looked at the help section of defragment, and really can't seem to figure up from down, with what is explain. When I try to execute what is explained, it doesn't pertain to the problem? Simply, how do I get ride of the infected files, so I can get a fully defragged system? I'm not an advanced user of computer's, so please, if possible make it simplistic. Thank you.

Rick

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: defragging files

Post by JoeP »

What do you mean by infected? If the files are infected by a virus you need to resolve that issue first.

Joe
Joe

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

If files are in use they can NOT be defragged, these in use files just may be the files that are be referred to in the message.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

As you never mentioned the defragger your using, my favourite is Auslogics Disk Defag.
Use it in safe mode, by tapping F8 during start up. Analyze + Optimize setting.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

johjue
Lounger

Post by johjue »

JoeP wrote:What do you mean by infected? If the files are infected by a virus you need to resolve that issue first.

Joe
I suspect that the poster meant "affected" instead of "infected".

John

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

There are/is a number of system files which cannot be defragmented while Windows is running, most notably MFT, page file, hibernation file, System Volume Information. By far the largest area is probably SVI, which holds all the System Restore files.

If you had used Defraggler, when you have done an Analyse, or when no defragging is actually taking place (that is before starting, or after finishing) you can click on each coloured 'block' to see what file(s) it contains. It will very likely be one of the above types.
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

johjue wrote: I suspect that the poster meant "affected" instead of "infected".

John
I suspected that myself. But in the very long time I've spent helping users I generally try to get a definitive answer from the user. It takes a little longer but the user ends up being educated a bit.

Joe
Joe

sciencemagic
StarLounger

Post by sciencemagic »

Thanks for your replies guys. To be more specific, the message I get when the defrag stops at about 15% is, some files on this volume could not be defragged. The files in question, according to the report, are documents and settings. I used to be able to defrag 100%, when I performed the defrag function. I hope this info might be more definitive in determining what might be my best course of actions. By the way, I'm not able to click on the colored bars, and get info about those files? Sure could use some help, and I certainly appreciate any good suggestions to resolve this defrag issue. Frankly, I'm not sure what prompted this situation in the first place, when I try to defrag. I used to defrag once a week, but now it requires defragging every other day. I suspect, that is because the defrag process only gets about 15% done, and then bails out?

Rick

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

You haven't specifically said, but if your problems are with the defrag function built in to XP, I think the first thing I'd try is doing the defrag with one of the FREE third party programs. I can't believe there's any need or justification for defragging so often. I used to do so once a month and now I often go 2 or 3 months between defrags.

Roderunner has mentioned one freebie in his post above and Defraggler is another one that's popular with Loungers.

I'd give one of them a try. By the way, have you been running a CHKDSK /R (or CHKDSK /F) prior to a defrag operation? You need to make sure there's no drive "corruption" prior to an attempted defrag.

sciencemagic
StarLounger

Post by sciencemagic »

Thank you for your response to my issue about defragging my computer. I took your advice, and tried Piriform defragger. What a difference!!! While it took some time to perform the task, it removed all but 2 defragmented files; there were 20 to begin with. The bar colored graph looks a whole lot different now! Thank you!!! But, you mentioned, I should try using CHKDSK/R or F before defragging. What is that, and how do I do perform that task? You mentioned it checks drive disk corruption? Can you walk me through how to perform that procedure? By the way, who's 57 Chevy on your profile Al? Great looking car! Again, thank you.

Rick

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

chkdsk is a program that checks your disks for errors. It is supplied with Windows and can be run from a command prompt.

You run it by typing
chkdsk/r
or
chkdsk/f
to a command prompt.

chkdsk /f fixes any errors it finds
chkdsk /r also scans unused space on the disk to check that data can be stored there correctly

If you are trying to check your C: drive then it will prompt you to reboot the computer and run before windows finishes loading.

You can read more about chkdsk in this Microsoft Knowledge Base article.
StuartR

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Well, Stuart covered the Chkdsk part and I hope someone else may benefit from your experiences. I'm happy it seems to be turning out for the good.

I always run Chkdsk before my weekly full backup or if I'm gonna defrag, just to be sure that any corruption, however minor, is corrected first.

Now, the Chevy you asked about was at a Classic Car Show back in '08 at the nursing home where my wife lived. However it so happens I had one also and that was why she and I were admiring the one at the show.

For a peek at mine look here: http://www.alhoffman.org/army.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Believe it or not, a drunk hit me in Manhattan, Kansas and destroyed my FIRST brand new car.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Try this link. I use the Russinovich code to defrag system files at each boot.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... s/bb897426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

sciencemagic
StarLounger

Post by sciencemagic »

Thank you all, for your help. While the defrag problem seems to have been resolved, I'm having some problems with chkdsk, either f or r, and fsutil dirty, when I try to execute those functions in the command prompt mode? But, before I ask for more help. let me fiddle with it more first. Realize, while I'm an old fellow, I haven't been using a computer all that long. I will check out your Chevy Al. Maybe sort of Ironic Al, you being originally from N.Y., that someone from Manhattan (albeit) Kansas, runs into you! Again, thank you guys.

Rick

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I don't know how you happened on the FSUTIL app, but please don't hesitate to holler some more if you're having troubles with the CHKDSK.

If you open CMD, then execute CHKDSK C: /R keep in mind that it will take quite some time to perform the check, especially if you've not run it in the past.

We're HERE to help if you need us!

sciencemagic
StarLounger

Post by sciencemagic »

Thanks Al. Repeatedly, when I try to run CHKDSK C or R, I get, can not be run because volume is in use by another process. I do execute Y, when asked. I assume windows will resolve the problem when the system is rebooted. But, when it's all said and done, after I reboot, I also keep getting, windows sees a problem with the file, after executing CHKDSK R. It seems I'm chasing my tail here, when I try to execute either CHKDSK C or R? I also don't have any resolution after I try using FSUTIL in any form. Sort of confusing to a novice!

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

If you run CHKDSK and it repairs a file then after you re-boot you need to repeat the process again you may be getting close to a disk failure.

Joe
Joe

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

OK, let's take a few careful steps here because Joe may be right and you could be in for some kind of impending drive failure.

First, at a command prompt like my attachment, run the FSUTIL command I've used and tell me if it says the drive is dirty. Be very careful of your typing syntax.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sciencemagic
StarLounger

Post by sciencemagic »

When I execute that command, nothing happens? When I bring up command prompt, I get documents and settings rick> and I type in the command you suggest (fsutil dirty query c) after it says documents and settings rick. When I hit enter, nothing happens, the same screen just comes up again. I can keep doing this over and over, and still nothing happens? It seems my system wouldn't allow me to execute that command? I try turning off my browser (firefox) and going into command prompt and execute the same command, and again the same situation, nothing happens? What am I doing wrong, what am I missing?

Rick

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I hope you typed it without a syntax mistake, such as a colon after the C. But even then, SOMETHING should have come up in response to the command.

This time, after opening the command window, type: CD\ to change the directory back to the root of the C: drive and see if that gets a response from the command.

Pardon this stupid question, but you are opening a command window (black background like mine) and NOT typing the command in the Run box of the XP menu? In this attachment you DO NOT enter the FSUTIL command or you won't see the results because it closes immediately. Type the CMD as in my attachment which will result in the black screen command window.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.