32/64 Bit System?

Don Wells
5StarLounger

32/64 Bit System?

Post by Don Wells »

How do I determine whether my XP SP3 system is a 32 or 64 bit OS?

TIA
Regards
Don

Don Wells
5StarLounger

Re: 32/64 Bit System?

Post by Don Wells »

Got it here.
Regards
Don

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Thanks for posting the answer, Don. While you were looking, I was off looking at System Properties and didn't think that was the answer, but I know I'm running the 32-bit version, so I wasn't sure 'cause it doesn't say that.

Then I looked at Belarc and it says my system is 64-bit "ready" but doesn't specify that for the OS.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Bigaldoc wrote:Thanks for posting the answer, Don. While you were looking, I was off looking at System Properties and didn't think that was the answer, but I know I'm running the 32-bit version, so I wasn't sure 'cause it doesn't say that.

Then I looked at Belarc and it says my system is 64-bit "ready" but doesn't specify that for the OS.
If you right click My Computer/Properties/General you find one of these

* For a 64-bit version operating system: Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Version < Year> appears under System.
* For a 32-bit version operating system: Windows XP Professional Version <Year> appears under System.

My Belarc also tells me "64-bit ready" so it tells me I am running 32 bit (which I knew in Win 7) I just had a look at my XP Home--and had been told in the past that 64 bit does not have a HOME edition, but only professional. I know I have 32 bit because I never installed 64-bit, and it says XP Home edition. Does that help? I found the same instructions which Don posted to verify the answer.
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Don Wells wrote:How do I determine whether my XP SP3 system is a 32 or 64 bit OS?TIA
Unless I'm wrong, almost nobody ever used Windows XP 64-bit! Manufacturers didn't bother writing 64-bit drivers for it...
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

John Gray wrote:
Don Wells wrote:How do I determine whether my XP SP3 system is a 32 or 64 bit OS?TIA
Unless I'm wrong, almost nobody ever used Windows XP 64-bit! Manufacturers didn't bother writing 64-bit drivers for it...
My Brother-in-law used it and he is "almost nobody" :evilgrin:

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

He must be the only person in captivity so to do...!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Hey Jude wrote:My Brother-in-law used it and he is "almost nobody" :evilgrin:
So how does it feel to be related, if only indirectly, to the user of 64-bits Windows XP? :grin:
Best wishes,
Hans

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Until this thread, I had "almost" tuned him out :evilgrin: He is one of those know-it-alls who knows absolutely nothing of any value.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Another way would be to run: winver, it's been the same in Windows versions for ages. But I guess nowadays it's quicker to press Winkey-Pause.
John Gray wrote:
Now that's one easy way to determine if you're using XP 64; you don't. :laugh:
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

His 64-bit PC isn't worth 2 ¢ I really shouldn't bash him, but he makes it so very easy :brickwall:

Argus, I like the Win/Pause combo :clapping:

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Argus wrote:Another way would be to run: winver
Winver gives the Windows version but does not appear to identify it as 32/64 bit. Winkey/Pause is a much better solution.
winver.PNG
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

PaulB wrote:
Argus wrote:Another way would be to run: winver
Winver gives the Windows version but does not appear to identify it as 32/64 bit. Winkey/Pause is a much better solution.
I see your version and raise you mine
WinVer.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Well, Paul, since this is the XP forum, I would expect something like this, if you run winver on a 64-bit XP:
2011-01-15_X.png
But I don't know if it's always the case, and possible to trust.

One could of course also run the System Information tool (Accessories > System Tools > System Information). In main window, System Type: x64-based PC, if a 64-bit OS, I think. It shows x86 if running a 32-bit copy, as below; this on a 64-bit processor.
2011-01-15_Y.png
But there are of course other ways as well. Usually the answer was: you know if you do (run 64-bit); but nowadays you can a get a simple netbook with a 64-bit OS.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Argus wrote:Well, Paul, since this is the XP forum, I would expect something like this, if you run winver on a 64-bit XP:
http://screencast.com/t/rqzc9sFxCvc That's my result of :winver on my XP

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Hey Jude wrote:That's my result of :winver on my XP
Oh, how interesting. :evilgrin:

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

64 bit XP.png
Xp 64 bit is not exactly cheap!

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Argus wrote:since this is the XP forum
Touché :blush:
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.