Remember Me In XP

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Remember Me In XP

Post by hlewton »

A lot of sites, like this one, allow you to be remembered so you don't have to sign in every time you visit it. This one works great and I do not have to sign in because it remembers me. So I assume there is no problem with my computer or my version of XP but maybe neither has anything to do with how or why Eileen's Lounge can remember me. I mention XP and this particular computer because they remain the same yet another site I visit frequently, Netflix, never seems to remember me on this machine and I have to sign in every time I visit it yet on my laptop Netflix, in addition to Eileen's, does remember me. So any ideas why Netflix would remember me on my laptop and not on this machine, the one I most often use?

Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Remember Me In XP

Post by JoeP »

The Netflix cookie could be corrupt or you could be deleting it. You could try deleting the Netflix cookie. Finding the cookies(s) for an individual site can be tedious but remember if you clear all your cookies you'll have to login to all of your "remember me" sites again.

Joe
Joe

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

That depends on how your browser handles cookies. If you, for example, do not accept cookies but have made an exception for Eileen's Lounge, then it can set a cookie, you can be remembered, but no other site can set a cookie, since they do not have any exceptions to the general rule: do not accept.

The difference between the laptop and "this machine" must be in the browser settings for cookies, or if you have other software that cleans the browser cache/cookies.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I have changed no settings on any of my machines intentionally that I am aware of. I had thought about the cookies and when I ran the "Delete" under IE's properties I checked the "Cookies" button so I would delete all the Cookies and start over. That did nothing except, like Argus said, cause me to have to log back into sites like Eileen's. Is there some "Cookie" setting other than on the Privacy Tab under tools - Internet Options that I'm not aware of? BTW that setting is identical on both machines in discussion here.

If I have to try to find only the Netflix cookie how would I go about doing that and wouldn't deleting all the cookies have taken care of that?

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

hlewton wrote:... and wouldn't deleting all the cookies have taken care of that?
Yes, and it probably did.

I was going to post this image & advice, from the Internet Options, i.e. the settings for IE:
IEpriv.png
My advice, since you have trouble with one specific site, would be to, no matter your present setting on the Privacy slider, (apart from blocking or allowing all cookies, top and bottom positions), on the Privacy tab, click the Sites button; in the box, Address of website, add the address and then click Allow. The settings, Allow/Block, under Sites will override the general settings.

For MS info, see for example this page:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... ow-cookies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, I visited Netflix, and since I do not allow cookies by default I was greeted with this message (and some other for different browsers):
cookies.png
That's another way, using the Advanced settings will also override the general setting on the Privacy slider. Perhaps it's possible that their cookies, first-party cookies, are restricted by, say, a medium setting on the Privacy slider, since it's not only about first-party and third-party, but also privacy policy. Complicated things these cookies, and IE settings aren’t always that fun, so I use another browser and don't remember that much about IE.

I picked a "random" Microsoft link about the privacy settings that explain the different levels on the Privacy slider in IE; didn't find one about IE8, but that shouldn't matter much I think, for this general discussion.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 85%29.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There is also this old article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283185" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you Argus. I will give that a try but after reading and trying to understand the difference between "First-Party" and "Third-Party" cookies I am wondering what setting should be checked under the "Third-Party" column. I think the only logical choice is "Prompt" but maybe the better choice would be "Block." Do you have a suggestion for that?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I haven't noticed adverse effects of blocking 3rd-party cookies.
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

hlewton wrote:Do you have a suggestion for that?
No, not directly, since I think that depends a bit on what kind of sites one visit. In general they are seen as tracking cookies, used by advertisers; but perhaps they are used by other sites such as webmail etc. But I think you can block them, I do and have not had any problems; if there are some few cases, sites, they can be added as exceptions.

So, I see you are going to try their advice, :smile: but that means you are going to accept all first-party cookies, no matter what kind of site it comes from and the type of privacy etc. As you could see in the articles, the Privacy slider provides some different levels, even for first-party cookies, but by using their method, the advanced settings, you override it and accept all first-party cookies. My method gives you the choice to keep the privacy setting on the Privacy slider but create an exception for only one site at a time.

It's your choice; and I'm sure there are some opinions out there; some might accept all kind of cookies. But just because one site's cookies doesn't seem to work, if that is the problem - we haven't found the difference between the two computers, one shouldn't have to accept all kind of first-party cookies if one doesn't want that. As mentioned, IE does differentiate between them.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Argus wrote: My advice, since you have trouble with one specific site, would be to, no matter your present setting on the Privacy slider, (apart from blocking or allowing all cookies, top and bottom positions), on the Privacy tab, click the Sites button; in the box, Address of website, add the address and then click Allow. The settings, Allow/Block, under Sites will override the general settings.
Thanks to both of you.

Argus I apologize I didn't at first understand what you were saying in the quote above. I have reread it and believe it is a much better option. I certainly will give it a try and forget about the other. At first I had thought they were doing the same thing but with your added explanation I now know I was wrong. Thanks again.
Regards,
hlewton