Duplicate entry in context menu

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Duplicate entry in context menu

Post by IanWilson »

If I right click a JPG file, the context menu has the option Edit with GIMP in it twice. (See below) I want that option there, but once would be enough. Both shortcuts work.

How do I get rid of one of them?

Ian
Edit with GIMP x2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Duplicate entry in context menu

Post by HansV »

You can go into the Windows registry and delete the superfluous entry in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers, or use a utility such as ShellMenuView - Disable/enable context menu items of Explorer (free).
Best wishes,
Hans

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Post by IanWilson »

HansV wrote:You can go into the Windows registry and delete the superfluous entry in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers, or use a utility such as ShellMenuView - Disable/enable context menu items of Explorer (free).
I don't see such an entry in my registry.

At My Computer\HKEY_CLASSES-ROOT\icofile\shell there is a Key named Edit with GIMP with the value Edit with GIMP

and there is another Key named Open with GIMP which also has the value Edit with GIMP.

I'll try changing the second one to read something like Edit using GIMP and see what happens to the right click menu.

Ian

Edited to add: that made no difference. Both entries in the context menu still read Edit with GIMP. I'll search some more.

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Post by IanWilson »

Right. It turns out that there are two Keys at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\OISjpegfile\shell one called Edit with GIMP and the other called Open with GIMP, both with the value "Edit with GIMP". Changing one of them to the value "Open using GIMP" does change the context menu. So I could delete one of the two keys. But it appears that this just affects JPG files and there are similar entries for TIF, BMP etc! I might try the utility you suggested and see whether it provides an easier way to find and change them all, since GIMP can handle a very large number of file types.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Ian

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Post by IanWilson »

The ShellMenuView utility seems to be easy to use and has done the trick, thanks.

There is just one more thing. If I right click a TIF file I don't get an "Edit with GIMP" option (although if I go for the Open With... option, GIMP is one of the programs on offer). I have added a registry key in the TIF files section just like the ones for other file types that do offer Edit with GIMP (such as JPG, BMP, etc) but it still doesn't add it to the context menu.

It's not essential to have it, but it would be nice and I wonder why it doesn't work.

Ian

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Try this instead:
- Start Windows Explorer.
- Select Tools | Folder Options.
- Activate the File Types tab.
- Select the TIF extension.
- Click Advanced.
- Click New.
- In the Action box, enter Edit with GIMP
- Click Browse... and locate the GIMP application.
- The path to the GIMP exe will appear in the "Application used to perform action" box.
- Add a space and "%1" after the contents of this box.
- OK your way out.
Best wishes,
Hans

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Post by IanWilson »

HansV wrote:Try this instead:
- Start Windows Explorer.
- Select Tools | Folder Options.
- Activate the File Types tab.
- Select the TIF extension.
- Click Advanced.
- Click New.
- In the Action box, enter Edit with GIMP
- Click Browse... and locate the GIMP application.
- The path to the GIMP exe will appear in the "Application used to perform action" box.
- Add a space and "%1" after the contents of this box.
- OK your way out.
Interestingly, when I went to the File Types tab, TIF wasn't listed at all. That might have something to do with it, I suppose. So I added TIF as a new file type and then added the Action as you suggested, and my context menu now does what I want it to do.

Thanks.

Ian