Slipstream Software

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Slipstream Software

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Please and thank you:

What software are loungers using for making slipstream disks of Win XP nowadays?

I see only two posts in Eileen's Lounge that make reference to "slipstream", here and here.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Slipstream Software

Post by StuartR »

I used Autostreamer to slipstream Windows XP SP3, which was the last time I needed to do this job.

Autostreamer is extremely simple to use, and it does a simple job very well.
StuartR

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

I agree with Stuart, and it is indeed extremely simple to use.

Even though it isn't difficult to do it manually; extracting the files and combing them with the original files, it includes more steps. I once created an unbootable CD, :groan: => coffee table coaster/backup. Something probably went wrong with the img-file extracted from the original CD or with the settings in the CD burning software. I've since produced (bootable) slipstreamed copies both ways, but Autostreamer is by far the simplest.

There are some guides out there, even though it is very easy to use. In the later versions, though it's some years ago, they added the option to pause before creating the ISO file, if one wanted to add some files.
http://www.simplyguides.net/guides/usin ... amer.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BTW, if you search the Lounge for slipstream* you will find some posts that include the word "slipstreamed"; it doesn't change much, there hasn't been much posts on the topic in this Lounge.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

nLite is already mentioned in one of the threads that Chris points to in his original post.

Ken
edited to add: there is a dedicated nLite board at MSFN

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

I have a document I created of Paul Thurotte's method of slipstreaming XP & SP3 that uses the free utility ImageBurn to do the deed. The instructions are complete with pictures and a downloadable file to setup ImageBurn correctly. It is too large to attach here, but you can find it here. HTH
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

StuartR wrote:I used Autostreamer ... is extremely simple to use, and it does a simple job very well.
Thanks Stuart (but see my later posts).
I d/l a copy and found it easy.
I created the ISO file successfully, I think, but then use Nero 6.3.1.25 (came with the laptop) to burn a bootable image to disk.
Something went wrong, (and I might revisit this method) but I ended up with a "caldera Dr DOS" on the CD, with a German-language FDISK screen, which worried me a bit, so I moved on to the NLite solution.

I think my problem is/was that I don't understand the multiple options in Nero.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Because I have slept more than once since having slipstreamed an OS CD, I don't remember what I used. It might have been something included on the Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD) or it might have been steps I followed from an web site. I'd google and see what's hot today if I were doing it.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Argus wrote:I've since produced (bootable) slipstreamed copies both ways, but Autostreamer is by far the simplest.
Thanks Argus.
Was Autostreamer the program that created the bootable disk? I didn't see that option as i was using it.
Or did you use a separate program to burn the ISO files to CD?

Thanks too for these. I dumped them to PDF format and worked my way through them.
I ended up with a non-bootable CD, again, so I suspect Autostreamer works but I don't (yet) know how to work it.
slipstream*
Now this too is valuable.
I recall reading something about wildcards back in January, but it had slipped my mind.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:nLite is already mentioned
Thanks for this Ken.
I d/l a copy, grabbed the documentation and followed the instructions, but ended up with a non-bootable CD.
Again, I think it's me that's not understanding the steps. I now have two beer-glass mats.(grin)

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Doc Watson wrote:I have a document I created of Paul Thurotte's method of slipstreaming XP & SP3 that uses the free utility ImageBurn to do the deed. The instructions are complete with pictures and a downloadable file to setup ImageBurn correctly. It is too large to attach here, but you can find it here. HTH
Doc!
This did the trick.
Same deal, I d/l all the files, PDF'd the instructions and worked my way through them.
The instructions are clear.
I made one mistake - I copy/Pasted the SP3 extraction command to the command prompt but neglected to include the parameters, so Windows decided to install SP3 for me.
After that false start things went well, and the CD booted (yay!)
I let the installation get me to the "F3/Enter" stage then killed it for another day.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

ChrisGreaves wrote: Was Autostreamer the program that created the bootable disk? I didn't see that option as i was using it.
Or did you use a separate program to burn the ISO files to CD?
No, I used a separate program, since Autostreamer does not burn the CDs. Last time I did a bootable, slipstreamed, CD I think I used an evaluation copy of MagicISO, to burn the CD. The software recognised that the ISO file, created by Autostreamer, indeed was bootable, only had to point the software to the ISO file and a CD-RW drive.
ChrisGreaves wrote:Thanks too for these. I dumped them to PDF format and worked my way through them.
I ended up with a non-bootable CD, again, so I suspect Autostreamer works but I don't (yet) know how to work it.
The last step in the guide I linked to (about Autostreamer) explained what to do with the ISO file.
http://www.simplyguides.net/guides/usin ... mer5.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; But I'm sure that one can use all kinds of software that can burn images, ISO files. Though I think I once had some problem with the small ISO Recorder, could have been some mistake I did. I agree with you that something probably went wrong burning the CD.

The manual method, one example being Thurrott's instructions, as mentioned by Doc, involves adding the vital boot sector file to the mix. I’ve noticed earlier that he had changed his instructions a bit, for a slipstreamed XP SP3, and excluded the part were you extract the boot file from the CD; now there is file to download. Easier, but if one doesn’t trust that, one can use software such as IsoBuster to extract the boot file from the original Windows CD.

BTW, my slipstreamed CDs are now CD-RWs :laugh: (Moving between service packs, it's easy to create an ISO file of the old CD before wiping it and creating a new one.)
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
Doc Watson wrote:I have a document I created of Paul Thurotte's method of slipstreaming XP & SP3 that uses the free utility ImageBurn to do the deed. The instructions are complete with pictures and a downloadable file to setup ImageBurn correctly. It is too large to attach here, but you can find it here. HTH
Doc!
This did the trick.
Same deal, I d/l all the files, PDF'd the instructions and worked my way through them.
The instructions are clear.
I made one mistake - I copy/Pasted the SP3 extraction command to the command prompt but neglected to include the parameters, so Windows decided to install SP3 for me.
After that false start things went well, and the CD booted (yay!)
I let the installation get me to the "F3/Enter" stage then killed it for another day.
Glad it worked out for you Chris. Paul Thurrott's stuff I've found to be almost bullet-proof over the years. It just plain works like he says. :clapping:
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.