Desktop folder - move

curious
3StarLounger

Desktop folder - move

Post by curious »

Hello -

I created a Folder on Desktop in which I have put shortcuts. I then tried to move that folder to Taskbar but received message “Missing shortcut…” Same thing happened when I moved the folder to Start Menu.

I am trying to unclutter Desktop. Is there a workaround so I can have the folder in Taskbar or on Start Menu?

Thank you.

(Win XP Pro, SR3. Word 2003)

Leif
Administrator

Re: Desktop folder - move

Post by Leif »

What happens if you create the folder directly within QuickLaunch?

Navigate to:

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
(where "username" is your log-on name)

and create a New Folder, then add whatever short-cuts you want?
Leif

curious
3StarLounger

Post by curious »

Yes, Leif, I know that works, but I would prefer to use the Taskbar or Start Menu - preferably Taskbar.

Thank you.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't think you can create a folder in the taskbar in Windows XP. You can open a folder located elsewhere, which will place an icon for that folder in the taskbar, but the icon will disappear when you close the folder.
Best wishes,
Hans

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Sorry - I thought you were referring to QuickLaunch.

I must be missing something here because I can't quite see how you can put a folder on the TaskBar...

Can you create a new folder on your Start Menu in Explorer, then drag the shortcuts into it? I am beginning to suspect you may have a rogue shortcut if you can't drag an existing folder onto your Start Menu
Leif

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

http://www.askdavetaylor.com/add_folder ... _menu.html

Not sure if this is what you want, but it does add the folder to the Start Menu. I have used the 2nd part where I added them to my favourites...

I found this too; "I hate having tons of shortcuts on my desktop and start menu, I don't want to see any shortcuts unless i'm actually going to launch a program. Heres [sic] a tip to make your desktop look alot cleaner...."

http://www.overclock.net/faqs/119039-ho ... skbar.html
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image