load needed dlls for kernel problem

curious
3StarLounger

load needed dlls for kernel problem

Post by curious »

Good morning -

Turned on PC and received the above error message (full message: Windows could not start because of an error in software. Please report this problem as load needed dlls for kernel problem). I do not have any new software.

Turned PC on/off 2 more times. Same message.

Doing a Google search wasn't very helpful.

Thanks for any input.

Curious

HansV
Administrator

Re: load needed dlls for kernel problem

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

curious
3StarLounger

Post by curious »

Hi, Hans -

In safe mode, after 'playing around,' I received message:
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<windows root>\system 32\hal.dll
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

I went to our other computer and was wondering if I could copy it from there to the other computer -- and, if so, how, please.

Thank you...

Edited: if I can't boot up the 'bad' computer, how would I copy it or even re-install a copy?

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

curious wrote: In safe mode, after 'playing around,' I received message:
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<windows root>\system 32\hal.dll
Please re-install a copy of the above file.
[...]
Edited: if I can't boot up the 'bad' computer, how would I copy it or even re-install a copy?
To replace only one file you can use your installation CD and the Recovery Console (RC).

It could also be that your boot.ini file is corrupt, but I will describe how to replace the hal.dll file with the RC.
  • You have to know the Administrator password (it can of course be blank if never changed) to be able to use the RC.
  • You will need a CD with the same service pack level as the installed OS. That is, if you have XP SP3 on the PC, you use a CD with that version.
For some information about the RC, see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you don’t have such a CD, for example a slipstreamed (integrated) copy of the install CD and service pack you use, it could be possible to use the RC and copy a file from another Windows directory on the PC, instead of using a CD. But the location on the PC depends on how you installed the latest service pack etc. So perhaps we have to find out about your options first.

It's possible that you have to change the boot order in the BIOS setup program; you start from the CD by putting it first in the boot order.

You reach the RC by pressing "R" at the first screen after you have started the PC from the CD.

Then first select the Windows installation you are going log on to, shown on screen (usually the number is "1", then enter the admin password.

You use the usual commands (at a console, command prompt) to move between directories, such as "CD", "DIR" etc. If you need help, just type "help".

It is possible to copy a file from the CD, expanding it and replacing the corrupt or missing file in the System32 directory. First you have to locate the file on the CD, so that you know in which folder it is located when you use the expand command.

On the CD there should be a folder I386 with the file "HAL.DL_". You can move to the CD using the drive letter, such as for example "D:".

You are going to use the command "expand", and you can read the help by typing "help expand". An example can look like this, (command source target):

Code: Select all

expand D:\I386\HAL.DL_ C:\windows\system32\hal.dll
Answer yes to replace the corrupt file.

When you are finished, to exit the RC type "exit" and the PC will restart.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

curious
3StarLounger

Post by curious »

Thank you, Argus for your generous post.

However....

I have neither CD installation nor and the Recovery Console (RC). As far as I can remember, Windows XP came already installed.

I guess my next move is to ask around for a CD with XP SP2. Is it possible to download this, or would the file be too large?

Thank you, Curous

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You can download SP2 from Windows XP Service Pack 2 for IT Professionals and Developers and SP3 from Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers (don't be put off by the name), but you'd need to be able to run Windows to install them...
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

curious wrote:I have neither CD installation nor and the Recovery Console (RC). As far as I can remember, Windows XP came already installed.

I guess my next move is to ask around for a CD with XP SP2. Is it possible to download this, or would the file be too large?
I don't know which file you are asking about. You need a way to replace the corrupt hal.dll in the correct folder (if that is the problem, could also be the boot.ini, but without a CD you can't look at that, at the moment). And if a PC can't start one has to use a CD or move the drive.

Best would be to use an installation CD, since you then can use the RC and the expand command as described earlier; the RC can also be used to rebuild and repair other files such as the boot.ini, if there are other problems, or if the problem isn't the hal.dll.

If you can find a CD with the same service pack, try that.

It should also be possible to remove the drive and put it as a slave drive in another PC, and then do the copy process with that PC, looking for a backup copy on the slave drive. I have not needed to do that, but it should work.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

curious
3StarLounger

Post by curious »

Argus - thought I had thanked you yesterday. Forgive the oversight.

Will go back to tackling this problem today.

Curious

curious
3StarLounger

Post by curious »

Hello -

(Please advise if this should be a separate thread)

I found the CD and finally had some quiet time to try to fix the PC. When I hit R, the message came up “did not find any hard disk drives installed on your computer”!

This certainly sounds as tho a new one is in my future. Or, is there anything else to try. Or, would a technician be able to fix it (might not be worth the $, tho I would like to recover some of the files).

The day before the PC died, it was making a racket…

Thank you.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

curious wrote: I found the CD and finally had some quiet time to try to fix the PC. When I hit R, the message came up “did not find any hard disk drives installed on your computer”!

This certainly sounds as tho a new one is in my future. Or, is there anything else to try.
Hello,
Let's hope that there are no problems with the drive, apart from perhaps some corrupt OS file(s), as we discussed earlier.

I am almost sure that this is caused by the type of drive that you use; a SATA drive isn't recognised by Windows XP and then we see this message (when using an install CD for Windows setup or Recovery Console). You could start with checking the settings in the BIOS Setup, i.e. that the HDD is recognised, "seen" by the motherboard.

Perhaps you can tell us a little about the hardware; HDD, which BIOS is used etc.

There are some suggested solutions posted on the net. Either change a controller setting in BIOS Setup (to IDE) or load SATA drives during the CD start-up process. Mentioned for example here:
http://www.proposedsolution.com/solutio ... sk-drives/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It could also be problems with the drive but that is a bit difficult to say without tests.

curious
3StarLounger

Post by curious »

Hi -

I changed Boot Sequence to IDE...then after going thru 2 Windows Setup sequences, I now have a screen asking which partition I want. Damned if I know. The complete message reads
76294 MB Disk 0 at Id ) on bus ) on atapi [MBR]
-: Partitition1 [FAT] 55 MN (47 MN free)
C: Partition2 [unknown] 73257 MB (73257 MB free)
E: Partition3 (FAT32) 2973 MB ( 287 MB free)
unpartitioned space 8MB
Do I want C:?

I will leave that screen on the other PC till I hear your good advice.

Thanks, Curious

edited to correct typing (from parentheses to zeros): 76294 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR] Very sorry....

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

curious wrote: I changed Boot Sequence to IDE...
I am not sure what you changed in the BIOS Setup. But it seems like you can boot from an install CD and select some options.
curious wrote:then after going thru 2 Windows Setup sequences, I now have a screen asking which partition I want.
I am also not sure what you mean with "after going thru 2 Windows Setup sequences"; i.e. which steps you went through and what you did. But it seems like you have chosen the setup path at the first screen and that you are now looking at the setup in the partition screen. Nor do I know which CD you use. I think that you should use one with at least SP1.

Before adding more comments; can you tell us what kind of CD you have (use) and something about the PC hardware? Also how is your backup situation, do you have backups on the data (files) that you want to save?

curious
3StarLounger

Post by curious »

Hi -

CD with SP2.

I rebooted twice and got "Windows Setup" screen. I should have taken notes of my steps...
Memory is that I saw "Setup is starting Windows," then a Welcome screen, pressed R, typed "Exit", hit enter, then again "Setup is starting Windows" then I went to F2 (?-I think) and when selecting Drive Configuration, saw boot sequence. Sorry to be so vague and all over the place with this....

Yes, I do have some files I'd like to save, if possible.

the PC is a Dell Dimension, 3000 series; Bios version: A02

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Hello,
A reply to your latest posts, sorry if I mention some things you already know.

In the partition screen (in the Windows Setup program) you see three partitions, created by the manufacturer for tools, OS etc.

The first, small one, "Partitition1", is probably some kind of hidden utility partition. There is a lot of information out there about this, if you want to look at it another time. The second, "C: Partition2" is where the OS should be (and the data if no other partition is created; C is usually the drive/partition letter for the system drive). The third, "E: Partition3" is probably a restore partition, a few GB in FAT32. Usually they are used to restore a system drive to its initial state, as when it was delivered. That is, if one restores the original image it will erase all data. They usually use some key combination during the startup process to invoke the restore process, and Dell have information on their site about this.

The second partition, C:, says, [unknown], and with all the space seen as free it indicates it doesn't recognise the partition, not that all the space is free. It probably should have said [NTFS] with a smaller part seen as free. This could be caused by a corrupted boot sector for the partition. There could also be other errors on the partition.

If this is the case, then it is not possible to repair individual files or “repair” the OS, i.e. an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) with some install CD. In fact, Microsoft mentions some different cases when one should not try a “repair installation”, disk problems is one of those cases, even though it is sometimes obvious since it is not possible for the setup to find an OS on the drive, at other times it can see it, but one has to correct errors with for example the CHKDSK command.

Have you tried to start the Recovery Console, after the change in BIOS? You said something about: “…Memory is that I saw "Setup is starting Windows," then a Welcome screen,
pressed R, typed "Exit", hit enter, then again "Setup is starting Windows"”. That is, at one point you pressed R (Recovery Console) at the first screen, then typed “exit”. The only place you do that is in the RC.

It's possible that some different tools could help you save the data or even restore the boot sector if the RC doesn’t work, (NTFS, which probably was used on C, keeps a backup copy of the boot sector, that’s one of the good things of using NTFS) so that you can work with the OS again, or at least do other repairs or a recovery, such as TestDisk, either via a bootable disk (CD) or from another PC (moving the drive). Or perhaps Ultimate Boot CD, which includes the TestDisk software. I have no experience using these tools in a case like this, so I can not give advice about them. But there are some “guides” out there, for example: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm? ... 139&page=8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another recovery solution could be to move the drive to another computer and try to recover individual files, by using PC INSPECTOR File Recovery 4 (a freeware). It can take quite a long time, but it can often find some files. See more information at their page: http://www.pcinspector.de/Default.htm?language=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Finally, deleting partition 2, C, in the above mentioned screen would be to erase all data, and you don't want to that when you have not recovered the files you want to save; also, one should have restore media CDs or use the Restore partition, and as mentioned those processes will also erase data.

It could also be that the drive is damaged and if so, I am afraid that these tools will be of no help.

curious
3StarLounger

Post by curious »

Me, yet again.

Yes, I tried startomg the Recovery Console, after the change in BIOS.

At Boot Device menu, I ran IDE Drive Diagnostics with results of:

Primary IDE
Drive 0: Maxtor 6Y080L0 Error attempting diagnostics
Drive 1: No IDE device

Secondary IDE
Drive 0: Samsung CD-R/RW Sw-252S Diagnostics not supported
Drive 1: No IDE device

Does this mean that PC is history?

Thanks for your time and patience.

Curious

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Hello,
Hey, the Maxtor 6Y080L0 seems to be an 80 GB DMA/ATA-133 drive. Not a SATA. Sorry about that earlier, but I had no information, and it's quite common that people stumble on the SATA issue when trying to use XP Setup CDs for installation or RC, and then they see that message.

I have no experience of the Dell BIOS, but can you check the settings in BIOS, under “Drives”, “Drives 0 through 3”, what do you see? Not in the “F12” Boot Menu, but the ”F2” System Setup.

I don't know what other Loungers think, but it doesn't look good, in my mind. And if it were me, I would try to recover as much data as I needed or could. After that I might work with the drive if I wanted. But if the drive has major problems, I wouldn’t trust it even if it started to work, a replacement is probably needed.

I don’t know what kind of test the IDE Drive Diagnostics does (in the Dell Boot Device menu). Obviously it is some kind of hard drive diagnostics. But some how you don't get a "return code" and a "fail". It's possible that there can be separate drive diagnostics software at Seagate (they bought Maxtor some years ago).

Perhaps you could try and contact Dell on this, to see if they have any comments on the drive diagnostics and what you have experienced.

One thing that I didn't mention earlier, about recovery, is another option: one can also create an image of the drive on another hard drive and then work on the image, not risking more damage on the drive. There are several Loungers that use different kinds of image software that probably can comment on that, even though that isn’t the most common use for image software.

No problem with patience here, as long as we all learn something, or try to stay on topic, I think a thread can go on, if you ask me; we are looking for solutions. :smile:

curious
3StarLounger

Post by curious »

Hi, Argus -

In my Dell, System Setup - F2 re Drives, there is no entry 'Drives.' What I do see is Drive Configuration. This lists
Drive A,
Primary Master Drive Hard Drive
Primary Slave Drive Off
Secondary Master Drive CD-RM Device
Secondary Slave Drive Off
IDE Drive UDMA On

Under Hard-Disk Drive I have:
1 system BIOS boot device
2 USB device (not installed)

Under Power Management:
Suspend Mode S3
AC Power Recovery Off
Low Power Mode Disabled

OS Install Mode Off

I would like to recover whatever data I could, but I cannot figure out what I am not understanding of your clear directions to be able to do that: hitting R gets me nowhere, as discussed in earlier posts.

I had tried Expand, but "access denied." Was not asked about Administrator password....

I too, think we should say RIP to the PC, as much as I'd like to restore some of the files...

Thanks, Curious

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

As this PC is not even seeing the drive, does that not suggest the fault is with the IDE controller on the mobo?

Can you not take the HDD out of the PC and add it, as a slave, to another PC? If the fault is on the HDD then it is unlikely the new host PC will see it either and you really are stuffed.

On the other hand if the fault is on the IDE controller on the mobo then moving the HDD to a new host as a slave drive should mean it appears in the new host as just another drive. You can then use Explorer to find your profile folder and copy off all the docs etc in My Docs.

Ken

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

stuck wrote:As this PC is not even seeing the drive, does that not suggest the fault is with the IDE controller on the mobo?
I am not sure about that, at one point. see post 21466, the Windows Setup could see other partitions on the drive, i.e. for example the restore partition, number 3, with the letter E.

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

I think the easy answer here is to pull the drive and slave it to another system. If it is seen, then be prepared with adequate external storage to copy off all your personal data (My Documents, Favorites, Address Book, Data Files stored within the individual program folders and any other folders you may have created to store "stuff". Once your data is secure, you can fool with the drive to your heart's content. Then, if it is FUBAR, you can replace the drive and should be able to reinstall XP from the CD you have, using your registration number, but since it's a Dell, be certain you have all the drivers for that system's hardware on CD or you might not be able to get the system to work properly. The should be available on the Dell site for DL or I'm pretty sure you could purchase any CD; drivers, OS or software, for the system from Dell support.
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.