Accessing M Works

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Accessing M Works

Post by Dave Davison »

I have a brief video and text document that I wish to show during a church service but have discovered that the church laptop only has M Works loaded and the said text doc is in "Word" and can't -it seems - be read. I have looked on my "C" drive and note that M Works is installed but I can not locate the icon to open a blank doc so as to duplicate the article in M/W in the hope that the laptop will recognize it. (see Att) A soon answer would be much appreciated as I need to know if my plans are feasible. Thank you.. DD
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Accessing M Works

Post by HansV »

Your screenshot shows only DLLs, not an actual program (.exe), so it appears that Microsoft Works is not installed completely.
However, Microsoft Works should be able to read a Word document, as should Wordpad, which comes with Microsoft Windows (Wordpad can be started from Start | All Programs | Accessories).

Or is your Word document in Word 2007 format (.docx or .docm)? Works and Wordpad can't read Word 2007 documents.
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Not all versions of Works can read a Word file.
I would save the Word file as a "Rich Text File" and then Works should be able to read that.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

DaveA wrote:Not all versions of Works can read a Word file.
Thanks, I didn't know that.
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Also if saved as Rich Text File, then even WordPad can read it.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

If this is a version of Works that can't access a Word file, you can use Download details: Word Viewer and Download details: Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint File Formats. That should allow viewing all current Word formats.

Joe
Joe

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Many thanks gentlemen, sorry I should have indicated that the new church laptop has Windows 7 installed whereas the Word doc I want to display was generated on my home computer which is running XP Proff 2003. It is not within my remit or expertise to meddle with the said laptop so will try and save the said text file in Rich Text format & see if it will read that. Will report back ....thanx Dave.
ps by the way I did not get an email indicating there were answers to my question and have made no changes to my profile so what needs to be tweaked please?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Dave Davison wrote: ps by the way I did not get an email indicating there were answers to my question and have made no changes to my profile so what needs to be tweaked please?
I'm receiving notifications, so please visit your User Control Panel. Go to Board Preferences > Posting Defaults and check the settings.
Best wishes,
Hans