Display will not go to Screen Saver

Slim
StarLounger

Display will not go to Screen Saver

Post by Slim »

For some time now the display will not go to Screen Saver after the designated time. System is Windows XP with 500+ megabites of RAM.
I have reset the time delay designating when the display is to go to Screen Saver using the Control Panel/Display and then activated my choice by clicking Apply. Sometimes the system will go to Screen Saver and some times it will not. I have restarted the machine after selecting the delay time and the machine will then go to Screen Saver after the designated time. However, later on, say the next day when I leave the machine it will not go to Screen Saver. Something apparently changes the setting, or ignores it, without my input.
This was not always the case. For years everything worked as advertised. Then within the last six months or so the machine has decided that it will do as it pleases and not as it is programmed.
Is there something else that I should check or something else that I should do to get the machine to regularly go to Screen Saver??
Your help will be appreciated.
Best regards,
Slim

HansV
Administrator

Re: Display will not go to Screen Saver

Post by HansV »

Do you have a cordless mouse and/or keyboard? Those are frequently mentioned as causing this problem.
Best wishes,
Hans

Slim
StarLounger

Post by Slim »

Thanks for your reply Hans.
I do use a cordless mouse. I have used the same mouse since I started with this particular computer about 7 0r so years ago. The problem with the screen saver not being activated just started within the last six months or so.
What would you suspect went wrong with the cordless mouse that would cause the problem and just what should I do about it?
Anything you can suggsest will be appreciated.
Regards,
Slim

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Have you replaced the batteries recently?
Have you updated drivers recently?
Have you installed new software that may "phone home" to check for updates?
Have you installed new hardware that may need a driver update?

Joe
Joe

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't know why the mouse would start behaving differently - perhaps a new version of the mouse driver?
If you still have a mouse with cord lying round, you could see if the problem goes away if you use that temporarily.

There are also some programs that are known to interfere with the screensaver on some PCs:

Ehtray.exe (part of Windows XP Media Center)
DVDLauncher.exe (part of Cyberlink PowerCinema)
PowerDVD.exe (part of Cyberlink PowerDVD)
PCMService.exe (part of Dell Tools)
Dell Media Experience
Best wishes,
Hans

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

If the previous suggestions don't resolve your issue, you might want to try a third-party screensaver control utility. One that is widely suggested is Free Screensaver Manager. It is, of course, FREE.
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

Slim
StarLounger

Post by Slim »

JoeP wrote:Have you replaced the batteries recently?
Have you updated drivers recently?
Have you installed new software that may "phone home" to check for updates?
Have you installed new hardware that may need a driver update?

Joe
Thanks for you reply Joe.
I have changed the batteries and that was probably 18 months ago, long before this problem came up. And, right now there is no indication of low batteries.
I have not intentionally updated any drivers. The last update was to install Norton Internet Security for 2010 and that was in March as I recall. I have also run the Microsoft update about every month or so for Windows and Office.
I know of no new installed software that is scheduled to update automatically. I have the Microsoft and the Norton updates set to notify me and then I choose time and what to update.
No new hardware has been installed.

It is interesting to note that while watching a Youtube video that ran for about 6 minutes the screen saver that is set to come on after 5 minutes did in fact activate. I had to hit the space bar to bring the screen back up. The system has done this several times so the screen saver does activate and come up as set sometimes. But I left the computer last night with just the desktop showing and the screen saver did not activate at all. The desktop was still showing this morning. And I might add that I turned the modem off so I was not on line all night.

Best regards,
Slim

Slim
StarLounger

Post by Slim »

HansV wrote:I don't know why the mouse would start behaving differently - perhaps a new version of the mouse driver?
If you still have a mouse with cord lying round, you could see if the problem goes away if you use that temporarily.

There are also some programs that are known to interfere with the screensaver on some PCs:

Ehtray.exe (part of Windows XP Media Center)
DVDLauncher.exe (part of Cyberlink PowerCinema)
PowerDVD.exe (part of Cyberlink PowerDVD)
PCMService.exe (part of Dell Tools)
Dell Media Experience

Right now I do not have a cord mouse handy Hans. I can probably borrow one for the test but that will take a bit of time to get one.
I am not awaare that any of the programs you list have been used or any that might be used. I do not believe any of these programs are loaded on my system.
Regards,
Slim

Slim
StarLounger

Post by Slim »

Doc Watson wrote:If the previous suggestions don't resolve your issue, you might want to try a third-party screensaver control utility. One that is widely suggested is Free Screensaver Manager. It is, of course, FREE.
Thanks for your reply Doc.
I did go to the site you sent and looked over their screen saver writeup. I did not yet download it for trial. If I can get the built in screen saver working as it should I may not need it. I am not looking for anything fancy. All I need to do is find out why the screen saver will activate sometimes and sometimes it will not. I trust it is Ok with you if I hold the new program in abeyance for a while.
Best regards,
Slim

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Slim wrote:Right now I do not have a cord mouse handy Hans. I can probably borrow one for the test but that will take a bit of time to get one.
For the moment, you could simply turn off your monitor if you're going to leave your computer unattended for a while. (That's what I do)
Best wishes,
Hans

Slim
StarLounger

Post by Slim »

For the moment, you could simply turn off your monitor if you're going to leave your computer unattended for a while. (That's what I do)
Thanks Hans. A very practical solution.
It would be nice if I could get the thing to work a it should. It is a bit frustrating. But as always you have a good solution.
Many thanks,
Slim
Last edited by HansV on 06 May 2010, 05:20, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to add missing [quote] tag