Error Moving File or Folder - Cannot Move File:

BobH
UraniumLounger

Error Moving File or Folder - Cannot Move File:

Post by BobH »

With apologies for being so needy of late . . . :hairout:

In dealing further with this laptop from darling daughter, I'm trying to move all of her documents folder off the hard drive onto a WD Passport because the drive is more than 90% full. Her documents take up about 60% of the drive. She is unlikely to want this data; but, all the same, I've never liked throwing away data that isn't mine.

The problem is that when I use File Explorer to select all the contents of this folder and choose Edit/Move and choose the newly created folder on the Passport, it appears to start the move then abruptly stops and displays the message in the subject line: Error Moving File or Fol . . . (shown in title bar of error message panel) and Cannot Move File: (with no file name shown).

Googling returned a plethora of threads with the Error Moving File . . . but this seems to be an error caused by myriad conditions. There are files of many types in the source folder but it is primarily music and movies or videos.

Can anyone suggest how to further troubleshoot this error to determine which files Explorer cannot move and why?

TIA
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

DaveA
GoldLounger

Re: Error Moving File or Folder - Cannot Move File:

Post by DaveA »

Are you using the account that these files and folders are attached to?
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Try moving a few files at a time instead of all at once.
With the dive 90% full ( or more ) the system may need more room to maneuver, in order to make the moves.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks for the responses guys!

After doing some more googling, I found a post that reported that this error message is generated when filenames have an apostrophe in them. I did a search on the folders and there are about a hundred of them with apostrophes. Who would 'a thought?

Now I'm searching for a way to remove the apostrophes in filenames without having to rename each file.

As for which account I was using, I'm not certain. I will pay attention and login with the proper account to have access to those files.

Thanks again for the help! :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Try the free Renamer utility mentioned in Post=12242.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

:thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

BobH wrote::thankyou:
If you haven't already tried and succeeded with Hans' recommendation of Renamer, see this post for an example where I did a bunch, very similar to your need. Very easy program to use. Good luck.