looong pause during boot

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

looong pause during boot

Post by jonwallace »

Does anyone have any suggestions for curing a 10 minute pause in a Windows XP bootup?

The PC gets to the desktop then sits for exactly 10 minutes with only two icons in the system tray, then suddenly the screensaver cuts in signalling that the bootup is complete and then everything hums along like normal.

I haven't installed anything fundamental, like new hardware or anything. Safe Mode boots like you would expect.
The Event Viewer complains about services not starting, but not usually the same one every time.
I've looked and pruned the stuff at startup (and used revo to uninstall those pesky things that are trying to load non-existent files...)

I'm at a loss. Anyone any ideas?
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

HansV
Administrator

Re: looong pause during boot

Post by HansV »

Can you display Task Manager? If so, does the Processes tab (sorted descending on CPU usage) provide a clue?
Best wishes,
Hans

jonwallace
5StarLounger

Post by jonwallace »

Sorry, I should have said nothing responds till the 10 minutes is up, (not even extremely slowly) and there is no hard drive activity to speak of. Maybe the system is waiting for something that times out after 10 minutes? I'll have to have a look at my "reconnect network drives" status.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

What AV program do you use John? Sometimes those tend to be a bit finicky on startup.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

jonwallace wrote:Sorry, I should have said nothing responds till the 10 minutes is up, (not even extremely slowly) and there is no hard drive activity to speak of. Maybe the system is waiting for something that times out after 10 minutes? I'll have to have a look at my "reconnect network drives" status.
Have you used something like Autoruns for Windows to see what is being started when you boot?

Joe
Joe

jonwallace
5StarLounger

Post by jonwallace »

Al:
I'm using Kaspersky Internet security 2010, and have been for months. Good thought though. I'll trawl through both its obscure settings and their forums and see if I can't see anything that might have changed.

Joe:
I looked at the bewildering array of things that you get with Autoruns, but couldn't see anything that wasn't there before. It did spur me to prune the list of autostarts. Isn't it frightening just how many things have to work together to get the PC going? It's a surprise that it works at all sometimes!
John

― Teddie O. Rahube

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

In Autoruns the most important thing for most users is the Logon tab.

Yes, it is amazing what happens when you boot a PC. Sometimes you have to wonder how it works at all.

Joe
Joe

jonwallace
5StarLounger

Post by jonwallace »

Update:
Of course, when I booted up this evening everything just worked. sigh.

Thanks for the suggestions anyway guys.
John

― Teddie O. Rahube

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That's not unusual...

:whisper: Should the Harris Tweed be brought back to the Isle of Harris or to the Borders region? :evilgrin:
Best wishes,
Hans