what can be unticked

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

what can be unticked

Post by Dave Davison »

Hi......which of the progs shown below can be un-ticked to speed up the boot process please. Or perhaps I should ask, what boxes MUST be ticked to ensure correct sequence of booting up. Thanks Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: what can be unticked

Post by Rudi »

Hi Dave,

That's a difficult question to answer as I would not know which apps in that start up list is used by yourself (or not). Obviously there are also some important operating system entries in there that should not be removed or disabled. Ultimately, it's a matter of working through the list and un-ticking obvious apps you know you don't use or that don't need to automatically start up. Once you have exhausted this "obvious or easy to identify" list, you can work your way through the rest of the entries, using Google to identify the entry and determine based on Google's description if it is necessary or not. The general rule, if you are not sure what the entry is and cannot find it...just leave it alone.

The following web pages could also give you some guidelines to assist with the task:
-- Making Windows XP Start Faster
-- Near-certain ways to improve PC startup times
-- The Complete Guide To Optimising Windows XP - Beginners

Another option that is quite nice in the start up manager is the option to delay as item. This allows windows to start up with the appropriate files and after 30 sec, 60 sec, etc...you can set other less important items to silently start in the background. This process sort of spreads the whole start up sequence out to lessen the activity in the initial boot process.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Rudi.........you wrote [Another option that is quite nice in the start up manager is the option to delay as item.]please point me to the said option. Cheers Dave.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hi Dave,

I must admit, at the time I wrote that replay I was under the impression that the Windows Startup Manager had the option to delay the start up of apps. I seem to have been mistaken... :sorry:

Anyways, I have WinPatrol installed on my PC. It is a free program that provides some powerful tools to control Startup apps, Services and more on your PC. WinPatrol does have this option to delay apps at startup. If you are interested, you can download it here: Download WinPatrol v30.9

Here are some screenshots of the delay feature...
1.jpg
2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

..thanks Rudi, will explore that option Cheers Dave.
Last edited by Dave Davison on 02 Jun 2014, 10:38, edited 1 time in total.

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

I've been using Winpatrol Plus for a dew years now, there's a mobile version (not sure if the free version has a mobile version though) which is a great tool to have because there is no need to install anything if I just want to check out a computer and clean it up.

Highly recommended ! Also, the Plus version gives you information about the process itself and lets you know if it is really needed.
Cheers, Claude.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

.thanks Claude, I downloaded the said Winpatrol [free] and was pleasantly surprised to find that I did in fact have the self same freebie on my previous computer and found the dog bark alive and well occasionally alerting me to some foreign intruder lurking in the undergrowth. Thanks Dave.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Claude wrote:I've been using Winpatrol Plus for a dew years now, there's a mobile version (not sure if the free version has a mobile version though) which is a great tool to have because there is no need to install anything if I just want to check out a computer and clean it up.

Highly recommended ! Also, the Plus version gives you information about the process itself and lets you know if it is really needed.
This is great to know since reading another post by you with a link to WinPatrol I have been looking for such a recommendation. I believe I am interested in the lifetime family pack. Seems reasonably priced.
Regards,
hlewton