booting up in Safe Mode

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

booting up in Safe Mode

Post by Dave Davison »

Not having made any changes to the operating system I suddenly find that the computer will only boot up using the "Safe Mode" method. Any tips as to what might have caused this and if I (a novice) might be able to rectify it or is it advisable to take it to the guy who build it? Thanks Dave.

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: booting up in Safe Mode

Post by Rudi »

Hi Dave,

You say you have made no changes the the OS, but have you recently installed any device drivers or anti-virus programs?
If not, do you know if the PC has auto updated any of the above?

You can also try this for a resolution:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/safeboot.htm
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks Rudi..I read the info at the link given but note that it seems to be a remedy for stopping the computer booting up automatically in safe Mode. However, maybe I did not make myself clear enough in my post; in fact the computer simply will not boot up when I hit the start switch so the only way I can get it to do so is to hit the Ctrl & F8 keys repeatedly then select the option shown in the attachment. As for updating anything the only thing I can recall is that of CCleaner so maybe running System Restore might have the desired effect? Regards Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

It sounds more technical, so I'll need to leave this to loungers with more tech experience.

If you have a Windows XP disc, you could try to run a repair installation with the disc.
If you do have the system restore available you could try to restore to an earlier time.

Maybe scan through these two links to see if anything strikes a chord:
- http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbysym ... urn-on.htm
- http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ZA/wind ... -not-start

Hope you come right :smile:
Regards,
Rudi

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Sure sounds like the repair reinstall from the XP CD is the way to go, Dave. Running it will not affect any of your programs or other data, just reinstall the OS.
OR... do you have any back up images made? Restoring a back up would also be OK.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

......update..........I did perform a System Restore and it did the trick so it seems the glitch happened after updating the CCleaner freebie. Just proves the benefit of creating a restore point before making any changes. Cheers Dave.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Glad to hear you came right... :thumbup:

I to can swear by system restore.
I have done it several times in the past on a few PC's, and each time it successfully brought my PC back to the "corrected version".

I'm glad to hear that system restore was available to you? I honestly could not remember when it was introduced in the Windows versions.
Regards,
Rudi

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

System restore has been available for quite a while - it was introduced in Windows ME in 2000.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

........well here we are on the verge of another year, looking on the web I see that for many [the Ausies, Hong Kong, Saudi Arabia etc....] the fireworks have already gone off with a bang but Big Ben has yet to chime to usher in what many are predicting will be a year of momentous events. Be that as it may I wish you all peace & contentment. Shalom Dave.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

TX Dave...I've just leaped into 2014.... :fanfare:
See you there in 1h:50min....
Regards,
Rudi

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Rudi from SA.........who should be so fortunate as your good self to be basking in the glorious sunshine when we in the frozen north are being charged a fortune just to keep our homes warm. Even as I write this blog I am challenged to be grateful [which I am] when I compare myself with millions around the world who have absolutely nothing. The sights of Syrian refugee children with flimsy footwear (can't really call then shoe) trudging through the snow and a desperate mother filling a pan with snow which she endeavors to melt by burning -perhaps the only straw rug she has- on a make shift stove. How sickening it make me feel when I see tens of thousands of pounds worth of fireworks going up in smoke when innocent victims of war - caused mainly by power mad men - perish for want of things the majority of us take for granted.
All I can say is thanks be to God that such injustice has not overtaken us in the UK. Shalom Dave.