sfc/

jaystarter
3StarLounger

sfc/

Post by jaystarter »

playing with an old machine here XP home SP2 that had quite a few virus infections which I appear to have cleared with malwarebytes. But now it seems there are many missing system files e.g to try and access from control panel > performance and maitenence "system" or "free up disc space" just get a little box saying couldnt find dll or some thing like that.

If I run sfc /sannow I understand windows will look for missing files but will ask for the windows xp cd. I dont have the original XP home cd that nust have come with the machine and wondered if I could use another XP sp2 cd that I own to try and repair the windows OS?
Jeff

HansV
Administrator

Re: sfc/

Post by HansV »

I have never tried it, but I think another Windows XP CD than the original one should work; as far as I know the system file checker doesn't check whether you insert the original CD.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

What matters is that the CD is from the same Service Pack (e.g. SP2) and from the same version (e.g. XP Home).
StuartR

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Post by jaystarter »

Looks like I may try it then. though I've just discovered I can get to a system restore by booting to safe mode, so that might be worth trying first. I'll have a go tomorrow.
Jeff