Stealing My Sound

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Stealing My Sound

Post by Bigaldoc »

I've been meaning to ask this question for some time to see if it happens to anyone else.

My daily use of my computer includes Outlook 2010 calendar, Firefox browser, Thunderbird email and MailWasher Pro "spam catcher" that run all the time my computer is turned on, which is usually 24/7. I don't shut any of them down at bedtime.

Other than software which checks for updates at unknown times, which we all probably have, the only "scheduled" event/task I have in place is my Shadow Protect overnight incremental backup (3 am). That's the scene.

Every once in awhile, like today, when I start to use my computer in the morning, the SOUND will be inactive for all occurrences. I usually catch it when I first check my email and the little email sound doesn't play. Since that's a Windows sound, I go to the sound applet and no sounds will play. Even an MP3 or some video file will be devoid of sound. This never happens during the day, so it has to be something that goes on during the night.

What I have to do to correct the problem is simply LOGOFF Windows and as soon as the logoff progresses, the sound will come back on.

Does this ever happen to anyone else or do you have an idea what could be causing it or where else I might look?

HansV
Administrator

Re: Stealing My Sound

Post by HansV »

Sorry about the lack of replies. I've searched Google, and although there are reports of similar problems, I couldn't find anything that looked relevant to your situation.
Apparently my fellow Loungers are stumped too... :sad:
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Al,
Are you using sleep or hibernation on this machine?

If so, turn it off for a few days and see if this issue goes away.

Some devices will not wake up after sleep or hibernation.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Thanks Dave, but no, I don't use sleep or hibernation. I do use a standard Windows included screensaver and I've tried turning that off. It happens so sporadically that I can't develop a pattern.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Wild guess based on Dave's comment, is there a setting somewhere that's turning of your sound card as part of your power options? Not that I can find anything in my XP MCE Control Panel Power Options or SigmaTel Audio.

Ken

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Like you, I've been through everything, but I just made another round, including power options and I can't find anything either.

I figure, given the random nature of it, it has to be a software problem somewhere. It could even be MSE on nights when it gets definition updates, or ... ???

I suppose I'll just continue to live with it. Thanks, Ken.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I still don't what the "reason" is nor how to "fix" it but I think I've discovered what the cause of my sound loss is: SHADOW PROTECT !!!

As much as I love and appreciate the program, this one puzzles me.

A week ago, I changed my overnight incremental backups from 3 am to 5 pm. Each day, I've been checking my sound in the morning AND around 6 or 7 pm, AFTER the incremental has run.

Just now I discovered NO SOUND and my final incremental for the week was executed at 5 pm today. So, I shall go on a search of the event viewer to see what goes on during and after a Shadow Protect run. Just another one of the gazillion unexplainables...

mishmish3000
PlatinumLounger

Post by mishmish3000 »

I have noticed the same thing sometimes after a Windows update... but I haven't really noticed a strong correlation (not that correlation implies causation, but it does help diagnose things).

Do you like Thunderbird email?
I haven't used it or Shadow Protect, either one.
Anne

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Al, I know that ShadowProtect has been a subject of concern a few times over the past couple of years, but in my experience these have only been suspicions, not fact. I run incrementals 7 days a week, on the hour, from 9:00 AM to 11:00 PM and have never suffered any adverse consequences. Of course YMMV, so please keep us posted on your findings.

Anne: Like Al, I've been a long time user of Thunderbird. There may be better featured email clients out there, but TB satisfies all my needs at the moment.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

mishmish3000
PlatinumLounger

Post by mishmish3000 »

<Anne: Like Al, I've been a long time user of Thunderbird. There may be better featured email clients out there, but TB satisfies all my needs at the moment.>
Having worked for the department of health, I have to admit my mind went to TB the disease, not the program, when I read your note, Paul! LOL I'll check out Thunderbird.
Anne

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Oops!
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

jolas
3StarLounger

Post by jolas »

A long shot, could the speakers starts to get flaky?

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Paul, this sound thing is on the periphery and only happens once in awhile. I've NEVER had a problem with Shadow Protect functionality. I "only" backup daily but for me, that's enough.

Anne, I've used Thunderbird for email ever since it came out and I don't remember how long that's been. It too has not let me down in all these years.