Gnashing of Teeth Sound Aimed toward Redmund - ActiveX Ctrl

BobH
UraniumLounger

Gnashing of Teeth Sound Aimed toward Redmund - ActiveX Ctrl

Post by BobH »

In trying to set up automatic updates through the microsoft.com website, I'm first informed that I must use IE to perform those functions. After pointed IE to the web page, I'm told that IE is running with add-ons disabled. I did nothing when starting IE to turn add-ons off and I could find no intelligible means to turn them on. Ignoring that message, I then try to use the ms search to find the page for windows updates that I found so easily with Firefox, but the search does not return that page. So, I got back to Firefox and copy the url and paste it into the IE address bar. I follow the hot link to the windows update page only to get a message that I must "Install the ActiveX Control required to view the website."

In that window I'm told something about the existence of something called the 'Internet Explorer Information Bar' that is supposed to exist just below the Address Bar but does not. No amount of right-clicking anywhere in the upper part of the screen produces anything that says 'Install ActiveX Control' much less the Security Warning box referred to.

Puzzled, I did a search in IE and found instructions for re-enabling add-ons. It says to click Tools | Manage Add-ons in IE. Strangely, the 'Manage add-ons' menu option is gray-out (not available) but the Windows Update option is available which takes me back full circle to the page that says I must install the ActiveX Control required to view the website.

:hairout:

Can someone please point me to a page that will unravel this mystery for me. I would try to contact P. D. James or Commander Dalgleish and should probably have more success.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

HansV
Administrator

Re: Gnashing of Teeth Sound Aimed toward Redmund - ActiveX C

Post by HansV »

Try adding *.microsoft.com to your trusted sites in Internet Explorer:
- Select Tools | Internet Options...
- Activate the Security tab.
- Click Trusted Sites.
- Click Sites.
- Clear the check box "Require server verification ...".
- Type *.microsoft.com in the "Add this website to the zone" text box.
- Click Add.
- Click Close.
- Click OK.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I followed your suggestions, Hans. I get the same circular results.

Is there some way to load IE other than with no add-ons?

I did discover what they referred to as the Information Bar (that's where the message about add-ons not being activated appears) but selecting it and right-clicking does not produce a security warning. It produces a drop down menu and both choices take me to (different) help information panels - neither of which shed any light on the subject. I did try using the index to reach information about ActiveX but, while it showed the option in the list of choices at the left, it would not display any specifics in the panel at right.

I would really like to use the microsoft site as I used to do by going to the page and clicking Check for Updates. I don't know how to get there now with the IE that installed with the recovery of windows.

Should I Uninstall IE and download the current version (using Firefox) and install it? I know that my brain is now fogged with age, but this one has me stumped.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The standard shortcut to Internet Explorer starts it with add-ons enabled. There is a special shortcut in Start > Accessories > System Tools that starts Internet Explorer with add-ons disabled.

If you right-click the shortcut to Internet Explorer and select Properties from the context menu, you'll see its target. If the target ends in -extoff, the shortcut will open Internet Explorer with add-ons disabled.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, Hans!

I changed the properties in the shortcut for IE to remove -extoff, applied the changes then restarted IE. I was then able to paste in the URL (copied from Firefox) which took me to the page that linked to the page where the scanning began. I am now downloading the recommended updates. I will continue running through the cycle of checking or updates and applying them until I get no more suggestions.

Thank you, again. I could never have gotten the problem resolved without your help!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Great! Good luck with all the updates...!
Best wishes,
Hans