Trying to ReInstall WinXP but Having Problems

BobH
UraniumLounger

Trying to ReInstall WinXP but Having Problems

Post by BobH »

As I think I reported, my old Dell P4 Dimension 4700 desktop system quit working some weeks back due to some corrupted files in the OS. No amount of trying to replace those files ever worked. I'm very suspicious that some registry hive entries were corrupted as well. I was running MSE with current updates and got no indication of malware. Running AntimalwareBytes confirmed corrupted or missing files but could not correct the problem. It was then that I decided to install a new HDD that I would use to reinstall WinXP, In the process of installing that HDD, I managed to disrupt wiring from the PC case to that plugging into the mobo.

Then I fell ill for a month and let things sit. Now that I'm recovered, I've reconnected the wiring to the case and I've formatted the HDD and installed WindowsXP-Pro at the SP-1 level. In order to download updates, I must restore the wifi link that allows me to access the Internet from this machine.

The problem is that I'm having a devil of a time getting Windows to boot. It is slow, taking more than 3 minutes to get to displaying the Start button and system tray. The mouse (a wireless Logitech with fresh battery) cursor becomes active only sometimes and freezes or disappears other times.

Does anyone know of any further hardware checks and/or remedies I should look into? For example, should I reset the CMOS? There have been no updates to the BIOS version and Dell have announced that none will be forthcoming. Is it possible that an OS or application problem could have damaged the BIOS? Should I search for the last update and reflash it? It was my understanding that BIOS is static and unchanged while the computer is in use thus could not be affected by OS and software problems. Are there any tests that should be run on the CPU and mobo?

I plan to reformat the HDD and go through the WinXP installation again; however I expect that I will get the same result as I do not recall any glitches in the process the first time. (They say that the sure sign of insanity is repeating the same behavior and expecting a different result.) I thought I should exhaust all other avenues of inspection and correction before resorting to another installation of the OS.

Yes, I know that the system is old but at the moment I cannot afford to replace it.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: Trying to ReInstall WinXP but Having Problems

Post by viking33 »

BobH,
I would do a memory test as well. It should, if my memory of XP serves me, be available at initial boot time as an option. F8 ? Flaky memory could be a possibility of slow starts as well as NO boot at all. Easy enough check to do. Also try reseating the memory sticks. Remove & reinstall them.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Trying to ReInstall WinXP but Having Problems

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Bob!

Will do!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs