Maximized Window in XP

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Maximized Window in XP

Post by hlewton »

In Windows XP I am seeing an IE window go from the "Restore Down" setting to the "Maximize" setting yet not fill the entire screen. In the "Maximize" setting it leaves about 3/4 of an inch space at the top of the screen. Any ideas what would cause this and how I can correct it?

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Maximized Window in XP

Post by HansV »

Have you set the Windows taskbar to AutoHide?
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

No it wasn't but I just tried it and it made no difference.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If you're willing to edit the registry, try this:
Print or write down the following instructions.
Close all browser windows.
Select Start | Run...
Type regedit and press Enter or click OK.
Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
Select window_placement in the right-hand pane and delete it.
Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop.
If there is a subkey oldWorkAreas, select it, then select and delete OldWorkAreaRects in the right hand pane.
(If there is no subkey oldWorkAreas, you can obviously skip this).
Close Regedit.
Restart Windows, then open Internet Explorer.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Hans I am more than willing to edit the Registry but before I do that I better point out that this is not just specific to IE. It does it with all windows, which I didn't know when I first posted this. Is there somewhere else in the Registry that should be edited to correct this?

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I'm sorry I don't have a specific answer for you, but I'm wondering if this problem might be a setting in Control Panel concerning your monitor or video card, such as perspective ratio or something along that line. That might take a bit of experimenting, so be sure you write down a setting before you change it so you can get back if it doesn't work.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

To follow up on Al's reply - can you drag any desktop icon to the very top of your screen? If not, I would strongly suspect a screen setting.
Leif

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

hlewton wrote:Hans I am more than willing to edit the Registry but before I do that I better point out that this is not just specific to IE.
The registry edit I posted is specific to Internet Explorer, so there's no point in trying it if the problem is general.

Do you have, or did you recently have, a toolbar that nestles itself at the top of the screen?
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

OK I am going to try to answer all the above. First this is not my computer. I am cleaning it up and did get it to work again as far as being able to access the Internet which it could not before I started. Their anti virus program was out of date and I removed over 200 threats, some Trojans and a lot of malware. I then ran a few other utilities that I have a lot of faith in and removed even more files. I completely unistalled both Norton and McAfee's anti virus programs from the computer because they were both active and both out of date. I ran Regedit and removed every reference to both of those programs. After all this I then hooked it up to my network and with a few tweaks managed to access the Internet. That is when I noticed all the add on IE toolbars and eliminated most of them. I reset the home page to something that made sense and at the same time noticed the problem I posted about here.

I cannot drag the Window anywhere when it is maximized. I looked at all the property settings for the screen settings and found a way to access the video card's software. I can find nothing that allows me to make a window fill up the entire screen. That is when I posted here. Well not exactly true. I did search the Internet using Google but found no solution except to check the video card's software which, as I mentioned, I did. Anyway I have never seen this with any computer in all the years I have had computers and was hoping for a solution. It is not critical because the computer is now working and accessing the Internet but I like to try to make things work properly and this one has me baffled.

Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Is this a Dell PC?
Best wishes,
Hans

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

hlewton wrote:I cannot drag the Window anywhere when it is maximized.
But did you try dragging an icon - e.g. My Computer or the recycle Bin - up to the top edge of the screen?
Leif

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

And is this a flat screen, or a CRT?
Leif

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Actually I think I just solved it. I set the screen refresh rate at 120 Hertz instead of the 75 it was set at and that has made the windows fill up almost all of the screen. I believe the little that is not filled is due to the video card itself but it is far less noticeable now.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Sorry, I can drag an icon until the top portion of it disappears at the top of the screen. It is a CRT but it is the same one I use for my computers and my computer windows fills it up entirely.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Sorry Hans, I missed your post. No this is a Gateway.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Your problem appears to be more or less solved anyway...
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

hlewton wrote:Actually I think I just solved it. I set the screen refresh rate at 120 Hertz instead of the 75 it was set at and that has made the windows fill up almost all of the screen. I believe the little that is not filled is due to the video card itself but it is far less noticeable now.
Hmmm, I wonder if that refresh rate setting warrants more of your experimenting?

I realize I have a flat screen and you're dealing with a CRT; and my video card is an ATI, etc. etc. The refresh rate on mine is set to 60... no idea (old guy memory) if I did that or it was recommended or the default...

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

With LCD monitors, the refresh rate shouldn't be changed from the default (as far as I know), while it can be changed for CRT monitors.
Best wishes,
Hans

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

If I remember correctly, there may be an option under the refresh rate to 'Hide modes that this monitor cannot display' which I recommend you use if available!
Leif

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I took the computer back to the owners and their monitor is a CRT and slightly smaller than mine. I don't have the computer anymore to experiment with it and I can't ask them to do it because it is about all they can do to just push the right button to turn it on. However, on their monitor the refresh rate I set makes all windows fill the entire screen where on my monitor there was just a hint of desktop still visible after the window was maximized. They are happy with it and the way is it much faster and reaching the Internet so I think I'll let it go at that.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
Regards,
hlewton