Automatic Update Notification

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Automatic Update Notification

Post by hlewton »

There are 3 updates that continually show up even after I have told them to install. They all deal with Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0. Has anyone run into this problem? It seems to be happening on all my computers so it is not specific to just one of them. I am now trying to install them directly from Microsoft's Update WEB site but not sure why or if that will make any difference. Any ideas what is happening?

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: Automatic Update Notification

Post by viking33 »

hlewton wrote:There are 3 updates that continually show up even after I have told them to install. They all deal with Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0. Has anyone run into this problem? It seems to be happening on all my computers so it is not specific to just one of them. I am now trying to install them directly from Microsoft's Update WEB site but not sure why or if that will make any difference. Any ideas what is happening?

Thanks
Do you know if they successfully installed? ( check the Windows Update, installed update list )
Have you shut down or rebooted after the install?
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

No idea what's happening, but it happened to me.
I'd successfully installed these via Windows Update (I hate installing via the little yellow shield in the system tray) but the yellow shield kept telling me that they remained for update.
In the end, I opened the list via the shield, unticked all three updates, and closed the box. On the next dialogue box I chose the option to 'not tell me about these again', and all has gone quiet.

HTH
Cheers
Silverback

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Usually a good tactic is to Google the KBs to see if others are having the problem and "maybe" see if there's a solution. Interesting the the two of you post at about the same time that I too am having a problem with one.

See: Eileen's Lounge • View topic - KB2686509 Failure In XP

And, this is the second time in recent weeks for me. There's another thread someplace here, where my decision was also the "hide" the update(s) in question and go on with my life.

I absolutely HATE the updates to .NET for they take so LONG to install, if at all...

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

I've had a lot of trouble recently with .NET updates (all versions) on XP.
My strategy (if thus you can call a random set of actions!) was either to Repair the product (from Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs) or uninstall it (for .NET 1), and then attempt all the updates, or reinstall, as appropriate.
After a large amount of faffing about, it all worked, and .NET Update Happiness occurred!
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

viking33 wrote:
hlewton wrote:There are 3 updates that continually show up even after I have told them to install. They all deal with Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0. Has anyone run into this problem? It seems to be happening on all my computers so it is not specific to just one of them. I am now trying to install them directly from Microsoft's Update WEB site but not sure why or if that will make any difference. Any ideas what is happening?

Thanks
Do you know if they successfully installed? ( check the Windows Update, installed update list )
Have you shut down or rebooted after the install?
Well it said they had installed and even though it did not ask me to reboot I did and that did no good, that little yellow shield was still popping up. So on 6 machines with XP I went to the windows update site as I mentioned above I would try. On 2 machines it showed that I still needed the updates and I let them install yet again. That seemed to get rid of that yellow shield, at least so far. On 4 machines when I was at the windows update site and checked for available updates it showed none available and at that time the little yellow shield disappeared. I have no idea if it will return and won't know for a while because I rarely use those machines. Apparently Microsoft is screwing things up again. BTW I believe I had the same problem with another update that I read about here that Big Al had a problem with. I ended up telling it not to alert me to it again after I did find that one on Google a couple weeks ago.
Regards,
hlewton

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

We are all having the same issue. Last night, I ran a third "Check for updates" and the need to install these three updates have been cleared. This morning I still do not have these listed to be installed.

It appears that Microsoft had a problem and they solved it.

I do have these updates listed twice in the Installed listing.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

The original post doesn’t mention which .NET 2.0 updates, but there has been talk on the net about a couple ones I mention below.

Initially I didn't get why so many people were having problems with these updates now (probably because I have AU disabled between updates :smile: ), and why some believe these are new updates. For most people they should have been installed months ago.

Some background from my experience with these updates and to put them into a timeframe.
I have not had .NET on my XP machine until the beginning of this year, I then used the latest releases, for example SP2 for .NET 2.0 etc. and installed 2.0, 3.0 and an update to include 3.5, I think, then I obviously had to update with patches released after the service packs. Thus I installed among other the recently mentioned problematic updates, 2518864, MS11-044, from June last year, 2572073, MS11-078, from October last year, and 2633880, MS12-016, from the beginning of this year, February.

But why are these, rather old, updates mentioned now, and as "May 2012 .Net Framework updates" or similar by some people?
Such as here:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 942aa799ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's possible, I thought, that there had been a revision somewhere, for these or the latest updates from May (since there were some .NET upd. in May), that created problems with the older updates, or, it's simply some erratic behaviour, or glitch, in Automatic Updates (AU), re-offering these updates. These updates are certainly not part of the May bulletin, but if something happens a week or two after patch Tuesday people tend to think it was part of the updates.

Do we see any recently done revisions in the MSKB articles related to these updates? Nope.

However, there have been some detection changes to the .NET updates from May, 12-034 and 12-035, there has not been any changes to the files. But as mentioned, it isn't the updates that we see mentioned in the comments.

An example, from MS12-035, related to .NET 2.0, from 8 May:
Revisions
[...]
V2.1 (May 22, 2012): Added entry to the update FAQ to announce a detection change for KB2604092 for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 and KB2604110 for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2 to correct an installation issue. This is a detection change only. There were no changes to the security update files. Customers who have already successfully updated their systems do not need to take any action.
That said, it seems something has been going on; yesterday when I enabled AU, since I had read about this, I think I saw some, maybe three, security updates for .NET (there shouldn't be any since I have them all installed) together with some other updates I have left for future installation. Since I didn't have the time to take a closer look I disabled AU, and didn't look until hours later. Now I can't find these updates for .NET, and I didn't check the KB number so I can't say what it was.

So, I agree with Dave; there must have been some glitch related to the detection changes for the .NET updates introduced 22 May.

If running on automatic updates it's not much one can do, but if one doesn't it's a good advice to not be too trigger happy and install whatever AU says.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.