Question about XP SP3 current edition

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Question about XP SP3 current edition

Post by jaystarter »

I have saved on external media (USB & CD) XP SP3 downloaded a couple of years ago. This was handy after doing an install of XP and not having to connect to internet to update to SP3. As there have been many more updates to XP since this version of SP3 and I am about to do a reinstall of XP on an old PC and will update with this SP3 but wonder if these subsequent "updates" are included in a newer version of SP3 and therefore it would be better to download from Windows Update and not use my saved version of SP3.
Jeff

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Question about XP SP3 current edition

Post by StuartR »

It won't harm to install the update you have before going online to check with Windows Update.
StuartR

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

jaystarter wrote:...but wonder if these subsequent "updates" are included in a newer version of SP3 and therefore it would be better to download from Windows Update and not use my saved version of SP3.
SP3 is SP3, there is no newer version so your plan of installing XP, applying SP3 and then going online to get all subsequent updates is OK.

I've never tried it but I know it is possible to build a 'sliptream' version of the XP install disk, i.e. make coustom install CD for XP+SP3. you can even not install certain XP components, see http://www.nliteos.com/nlite.html

Ken

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

jaystarter wrote: wonder if these subsequent "updates" are included in a newer version of SP3 and therefore it would be better to download from Windows Update and not use my saved version of SP3.

There isn't any such thing as "a newer version of SP3". SP3 remains as Microsoft put it out four years ago! Since then there have been enough updates to make a new service pack, but Microsoft hasn't bothered...
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

stuck wrote:...I know it is possible to build a 'sliptream' version of the XP install disk...
It is very easy to do this using the :free: Autostreamer utility. It is well worth doing this as you can use the same CD to do a repair install if you get problems later.
StuartR

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

StuartR wrote:[It is very easy to do this using the :free: Autostreamer utility.
That link implies it will work for ALL versions of XP but everything else I've ever read about building a slipstream disk for XP is that you CANNOT build one for XPMCE.

Ken

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I have used the tool very successfully, but I have never seen Windows XP Media Centre Edition, so I have no idea if it works for that version.
StuartR

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Post by jaystarter »

There seems to be some general confusion as to whether slipstreaming works with an XP Home OEM disc. Time is not an issue so I will go the basic straight route I think.
Jeff

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

If time is not a problem then yes, doing it the traditional way is the obvious thing to do. Slipstraming comes into it's own when you need to install the OS on a regular basis, it can save a lot of time in those circumstances.

Ken

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

jaystarter wrote:There seems to be some general confusion as to whether slipstreaming works with an XP Home OEM disc. Time is not an issue so I will go the basic straight route I think.
I've built several slipstreamed CDs for a XP Home Edition OEM copy; from Gold to SP2, and from Gold to SP3, with the Autostreamer utility mentioned by Stuart. (It can of course be done in some different ways, some more convoluted; Autostreamer is very easy to use.) But then again, there are several OEMs.

As for time; I think, now, most of the time is spent installing post SP3 updates anyhow. So if one has a spare CD it's a rather quick affair slipstreaming, and if it doesn't work, for some reason, that's only a couple of minutes lost (and perhaps a CD..., :grin: but it's possible to use a CD-RW).

If it works it's a great start for the installation, and future use, not only for saving time if doing several installations; there will be less files, more space, on the PC, no ServicePackFiles folder etc.; and as mentioned by Stuart, and previously in the Lounge, a slipstreamed CD is very useful when/if there are problems later on, running the Recovery Console, repairing the OS.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.