What a bummer!

DenGar
3StarLounger

What a bummer!

Post by DenGar »

Forbes Magazine, authenticated by the link to Microsoft in para. 1, points out that Windows 7 users will have to pay a fee in 2020 to "keep their computers safe." No more updates unless paid for. And Windows 7 Home computers will NOT be eligible!

I'm quite happy with Windows 7. Moreover, if I wanted to upgrade, my 2011 Lenovo laptop cannot do it. I apparently have to chance continuing to use it or buy a new computer. :aflame:

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: What a bummer!

Post by JoeP »

That is the end of extended support for Windows 7. Nothing new about the date. There has always been a defined end of support date for all versions of Windows. The program is similar to what Microsoft offered businesses when XP support ended. It will cover security updates only and the cost will increase every year. As it stands now, this will only be available for Win7 Pro users who have a volume license.

You may stick with Win7 if you want. It will continue to work. You just need to be vigilant, make regular backups, run regular A/V scans.
Joe

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: What a bummer!

Post by stuck »

A Joe has already said, this is nothing new. As you might expect, Woody has a view on this issue:
https://www.askwoody.com/2018/no-micros ... -for-win7/

Ken