Multiple MSWord on taskbar

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Multiple MSWord on taskbar

Post by ChrisGreaves »

:hairout: :hairout:
I have "done something" to my newly installed Win7.

Used to be if I had several MSWord documents open that they showed up as separate tasks on the toolbar.
I could Alt-Tab to the desired MSWord document.

Now I see just one MSWord Ap on the toolbar.
I can Alt-Tab to MSWord, then must switch to Ctrl-Tab for the carousel within Word.
Taskbar.png
Last night I skulked around Control Panel, paying special attention to "Group Similar", but with no success.

I can't believe that this is a setting in MSWord; it must be a Windows setting, right?

TIA
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Multiple MSWord on taskbar

Post by stuck »

Try this:
Right click on the Taskbar
Choose Properties
Set the 'Taskbar options:' to 'never combine'
OK out

Ken

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:Try this:
Ken, thanks for this response.
I had tried “never combine”, but now I wonder whether I might have upset a pail of milk somewhere else.
Taskbar.png
This is what I saw after a r-c on Taskbar; same dialogue as the one obtained through Control Panel.
Taskbar002.png
And here I am, closed all applications; opened MSWord, closed the blank document, opened THREE documents.
The taskbar shows just the one instance of MSWord as an application (outlined in purple).
I know that in my old Win7HP I would see three icons in the task bar, and I *think* I’ve seen three in my new Win7 Professional.

This is not critical, and I might go back to my last system image to see if I can bring up three icons.

Cheerily still,
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

Besides setting the taskbar property to "never combine", you have to go into Word's Tools > Options > View and check the box for "Windows in Taskbar". (This is specific to Word 2003.)

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Jay Freedman wrote:Besides setting the taskbar property to "never combine", you have to go into Word's Tools > Options > View and check the box for "Windows in Taskbar". (This is specific to Word 2003.)
:cheers: :chocciebar: :clapping: :fanfare: :grin: :thankyou: :thumbup: (plus various smilies from the other screens).

What really annoys me about response like yours, Jay, is that I use Word2003 every day, whereas you probably haven't looked at it in fifteen years. :laugh: :rofl:

You don't make me look good, but now my laptop taskbar looks a lot better!

Thanks
Chris

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

ChrisGreaves wrote:What really annoys me about response like yours, Jay, is that I use Word2003 every day, whereas you probably haven't looked at it in fifteen years. :laugh: :rofl:
In fact, I open Word 2003 about once a week to answer questions in the Microsoft Answers forum; I also have versions 2007, 2010, 2013, and 2016 readily at hand, and Word 2000 in a virtual machine that runs Windows XP (mainly so I can use the Unbind program for people who need help with old ODB files). I don't always remember all the old gotchas, but they come back pretty easily.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Jay Freedman wrote: I don't always remember all the old gotchas, but they come back pretty easily.
Well I'm glad that we have you!
I can generally remember that I "used to do it this way", but all too often am not sure what has changed!
Cheers
Chris