Locking the desktop icons in Windows 7

Diana van den Berg
4StarLounger

Locking the desktop icons in Windows 7

Post by Diana van den Berg »

Is there any way to lock the desktop icons in Windows 7?

Thank you for any help.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Locking the desktop icons in Windows 7

Post by stuck »

Diana van den Berg
4StarLounger

Thank you, Ken. I feared as much. :groan:

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

The next best thing is to be able to put the icons back where they belong with one click, using Desktop Restore from http://midiox.com/desktoprestore.htm.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

I used to use MidiOx, which requires a couple of executions plus the rearrangement of a couple of icons to restore, but Icon Configuration utility works flawlessly for me, every time.
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Diana van den Berg
4StarLounger

Jay Freedman wrote:The next best thing is to be able to put the icons back where they belong with one click, using Desktop Restore from http://midiox.com/desktoprestore.htm.
Thank you, Jay, I like the sound of that very much and was planning to go that route until I saw John's reply, but if, for some reason, Icon Configuration utility doesn't work for me or I don't like it, I will try MidiOx. :smile: :chocciebar:
John Gray wrote:I used to use MidiOx, which requires a couple of executions plus the rearrangement of a couple of icons to restore, but Icon Configuration utility works flawlessly for me, every time.
Thank you, John. I will certainly give that a go! :smile: :chocciebar:

I hope you both eat chocolate!

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

Different strokes for different folks. I've used Desktop Restore in Windows XP, Windows 7, and now Windows 10 for years, with never a moment's trouble.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Jay - you may use the GUI variant of Desktop Restore, whereas I always used its command-line variant, with the quoted results, until I came upon the blissful delights of Icon Configuration utility (admittedly using its GUI to restore!).
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Diana van den Berg
4StarLounger

Jay Freedman wrote:Different strokes for different folks. I've used Desktop Restore in Windows XP, Windows 7, and now Windows 10 for years, with never a moment's trouble.
John Gray wrote:Jay - you may use the GUI variant of Desktop Restore, whereas I always used its command-line variant, with the quoted results, until I came upon the blissful delights of Icon Configuration utility (admittedly using its GUI to restore!).
Thank you both for the input.