Task Scheduler

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Task Scheduler

Post by Roderunner »

Hi Folks, on my computers, I get no info from Task Scheduler and very little on the other as in my named images.
Laptop .PNG
Desktop PC.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Task Scheduler

Post by HansV »

The screenshots show tasks that started during the last 24 hours. Apparently, no tasks started during that period on your desktop. What do you see under 'Active Tasks'?
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Nothing odd, if you ask me. (Disabled by default me thinks.)

(I assume running with an account with admin privileges.)

If you navigate to any scheduled task you will probably find that history for tasks is inactivated.

Right-click on a task, select Properties, and check the History tab (it even says inactivated).
Task properties_History.png
You should find a possibility to activate logs under Actions in the pane to the right, same window as you have shown.
Another way to activate, via Event Viewer, is to drill down the console tree (left pane) for Applications and Service Logs and activate the log.

In Event Viewer:
Applications and Service Logs
    Microsoft
        Windows
            TaskScheduler
            Operational

Right-click on the entry, Operational, and select Properties to see the options for log history, or if you are happy using the default settings select Activate Log in the right-click context menu.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

HansV wrote:The screenshots show tasks that started during the last 24 hours. Apparently, no tasks started during that period on your desktop. What do you see under 'Active Tasks'?
I changed Last 24hrs to Last 30 days, it was the same. Will post active tasks later as i'm on my Laptop.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Argus wrote:Nothing odd, if you ask me. (Disabled by default me thinks.)

(I assume running with an account with admin privileges.)

If you navigate to any scheduled task you will probably find that history for tasks is inactivated.

Right-click on a task, select Properties, and check the History tab (it even says inactivated).
Task properties_History.png
You should find a possibility to activate logs under Actions in the pane to the right, same window as you have shown.
Another way to activate, via Event Viewer, is to drill down the console tree (left pane) for Applications and Service Logs and activate the log.

In Event Viewer:
Applications and Service Logs
    Microsoft
        Windows
            TaskScheduler
            Operational

Right-click on the entry, Operational, and select Properties to see the options for log history, or if you are happy using the default settings select Activate Log in the right-click context menu.
Hi Argus, All history is enabled on both my computers.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Yes, if enabled, it is for all tasks.

So what do you see in a window similar to the one I posted (History tab) (on your desktop)?

As you saw above, I have it disabled (since I'm happy with that (there are other log entries) at the moment). I've seen some comments over time from people having problems seeing history, and thus I couldn't be sure if it would log any tasks. I enabled All Tasks History and then ran some small task (say check for updates for some software), and the task history is there (under Task Status, and in detail on the task's History tab).
On your desktop:
Check if history is indeed enabled (there are other ways, as always at least 3 with MSFT, such as right-click menu on the Task scheduler entry at the top of the left console tree).
Tasks run as expected?
Are relevant services related to your tasks enabled?

As I understand it, "history" must be enabled before running tasks, and they will not disappear if you disable history. But you can clear the log under the settings in Applications and Service Logs, as mentioned above.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

To find the answer to post by Hans, I found to my surprise that History was disabled for all tasks on my Desktop. Now that its enabled I get this.
Tasks.JPG
That will teach me to look before I leap. Thanks to all for your assistance.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

The most probable cause, when seeing no history for 24 hours, since the OS itself is full of tasks (and it being the default setting).